Ellsworth AFB FamCamp Rate Change

More
8 years 11 months ago #13710 by johnandmari
Well I see the Ellsworth AFB MWR/NAF civilians are at it again. They have established a new, sliding rate schedule for the FamCamp and the Air Force Inn - from May through mid-July and some unknown date in August (the 15th??) through end of season (October 15th) the rate continues at $21/day, and another rate schedule for the duration of the Sturgis motorcycle rally - new rate is $32/day, with similar rate hikes for overflow/tent/AF Inn rooms! Give me a break! As someone that has spent a lot of time at EAFB, both as the EAFB camp host for two years and as a campground user since 1998, I can assure you that the EAFB FamCamp is always well used, especially during the Rally. Just another example of how the civilian management treats its clientele. Where will it all end?
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #13712 by monkey44
If I used that one a lot (only been twice) I'd complain to the CO = that's who has the final word.

More
8 years 11 months ago #13716 by JJnLilly
Ellsworth is not alone - it is the wave of the presnet and future of all of what we used to cal MWR. Facilities must now operate according to a 'business' model and show that they are somewhat self sustaining. Gone are the days when many of the old MWR activites were either fully or partially funded as part of the military budget.

From a business perspective, it makes sense to raise rates during that prime time of the Sturgis gathering. Soon Kirtland will be looking at doing something similar during bloon fest. Though it does not sit well, it is now a fact of life....it is all about making dollars. The good thing is those dollars go back into the activities, well at least that is the plan.

More
8 years 10 months ago #13718 by greyhound73772
The private sector calls raising the prices during certain events as "yield management" and have done it for years. During Frontier Days in Cheyenne, WY, private RV parks triple their rates and your lucky to find a spot. The famcamp at F.E. Warren AFB is full during those days, so don't be surprised if MWR starts using "yield management".

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #13721 by monkey44
Well, then the MWR should stop calling MCG a benefit ...

Case in point: Florida, Oregon, WA, all very nice, well run campgrounds.

Florida: All DAV's any age (and any FL resident seniors) receive a card for free admission to park and half-price camping.

Oregon: All DAV's (no OR residence restriction)-- ten days free camping EVERY MONTH ...

Wash: Same as Oregon for DAV's - but not sue if it's every month in Wash (might be annual, with a discount beyond that now.

All these examples run public CGs just fine and charge LESS than many military campgrounds -- and with less support from local tax base. MCG = On base (no rent) and many volunteers, and much of the infrastructure maintenance is performed by base staff.

It appears MCG's are turning into "cash cows" instead of benefit -- take a look at California and its outrageous rates for MCG.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by monkey44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: greyhound73772

More
8 years 4 months ago #14096 by JOHNBA24
The FanCamp is the only facility that makes money. MWR takes the money it makes to keep the golf course, bowling alley and club open. Scheduled upgrades and repairs to the camp were cancelled to move money around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: carrollg

Time to create page: 0.465 seconds