Great to Camp Military

More
16 years 11 months ago #952 by carsdick22
After reading some of the complaints/comments that have been recently posted about the FamCamps, I'd like to say if you don't like them, don't camp in them. Being 100% disabled doesn't entitle any of us to something extra, just what we were promised. And no said that included country clubs for campgrounds. Try the KOA's, or you could join Thousand Trails. They'll give you all the luxury you want, and charge you for it too!!! We like the rates and love the company!!! I didn't realize that anyone would judge others by the size or quality of the rig they pull or drive. Sounds pretty shallow to me.
We have found the majority of the Famcamps to be well run, friendly, and safe with a sense of coming home. Sure there are people who bend the rules by staying longer than they should, but you can complain to the base MWR office, and hopefully if enough complaints come in, they'll enforce the policy. We like the fact that we get to camp with fellow GI's in a secure environment. We have the base facilities at hand, usually with extras thrown in. Those extras come in a lot of shapes and forms. How about the sunset from the beach campground at San Onofre at Camp Pendleton, the convenience to San Francisco and the wine country while staying at Travis AFB, the organized and knowledgable staff at Davis Monthan (great activities too), the case lot sale we ran into at the commissary at Scott AFB ( We filled the back seat of the truck with bargains), and I could go on and on. The waterfront sites at Patrick AFB and McDill, AFB in Florida and the seclusion of the sites at Tyndall AFB. along with their proximity to the beaches.are wonderful. We stayed at the great campground at Keesler in Mississippi before the hurricanes, and definitely will go back, and enjoyed the huge concrete pull-through sites at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. So many of you have given us advice, tips and in a few instances help. There was a Navy troop who helped us get our fifth wheel turned around at JAX Navy in Jacksonville, FL when we came in after the office was closed, and we ended up going the wrong way into a campsite. He said he'd parked planes on carriers for years and he could get us in, and he did!!! We appreciate the campgrounds and you.
If we had a suggestion it would be to have a greatly reduced rate for the current active duty enlisted troops so they could use these facilities more often whether they're 100% disabled or not!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #983 by chucklaura
totally agree! When it works out and we can "Camp Military" it is a plus -- AND as "fulltimers" in our RV, we understand that the rules at famcamps limiting our stay make it better for everyone. If the spots are not always perfect, that's okay too. Famcamp rates sure beat those KOA's! We particularly appreciate the famcamps that are convenient to places we want to visit. and we are thankful for our ability to use them. Why bitch and moan about such a great deal??

More
16 years 11 months ago #1025 by digabe
Replied by digabe on topic Re: Great to Camp Military
my wife and I retired several years ago and love to camp in the military campgrounds. We drive an 04 Winnebago and travel mostly thru the southeast. My friends back at our hometown were dumbstruck when we told them we drove 170 miles each way (in our car) just to "check out" a nearby military campground. We did that in one day and couldn't have been happier!

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds