Rambling Observations

More
15 years 5 months ago #4933 by karylkoch
Replied by karylkoch on topic Re: Rambling Observations

the contrary). I think there needs to be one standardized regulation regarding the famcamps and let it apply to everyone except active duty. They obviously need to be priority. MacDill should check out Patrick or Mayport rules. They have their stuff together.

Excuse me you think the rules should apply to everyone but active duty. Military retirees, have made many sacrifices serving their country, and compared to DOD, have had to leave family for extended periods, have been sent in harms way, make less than many of there DOD counterparts, abide by stringent regulations, and put in many more hours. To be honest I don't think DOD should even be allowed to use our military campgrounds. DOD, can not use out commissaries and PX's, which are perks that aren't quite as good as they used to be, but just the same are for active and retired military. I know I will get a lot of criticism, but I feel we already have to fight for spots with homesteaders, and yes some of them or DOD, so why should the campground space be taken up by people who did not earn it. It can already be hard enough to get into Patrick and Mayport. I think if everyone is going to follow the same procedures, they should be like Key West who do not allow DOD. There I said, it and I am not sorry!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #4937 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Rambling Observations
The more 'categories' that a CO includes as eligible, the less likely that a space will be available for the AD and retired. One of the reasons we get this benefits is because when compared to the privatge sector, both AD pay and retired pay is much less. So, when we have DOD retired or working, they make significantly more money and should use civilian services. IN fact, if DOD would only use the facilities for vacations, like it should be for everyone, then the problem would not exist. But I'm sitting here in Kings Bay now -- and got a site for 16 days because the CG was full. Then was talking to a guy in the laundry that has been here a year!! When I asked how he got past the 60 day rule here, he said "I'm DOD" -- and that ended the conversation because I knew how useless it would be to comment further.

SO, now let's see exactly what that means. A USN medically retired 100% Disabled Vet gets a 16 day site, and a WORKING DOD, probbably with a housing per diem allowance gets to stay here a year (and is still here) - AND gets to save money on housing by using the MCG. Raise your hand if you think that is a "fair to everyone" situtation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #4940 by bill6750
Replied by bill6750 on topic Re: Rambling Observations
Monkey, you need to report it to "ice" or the CO of the base.

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
15 years 5 months ago #4945 by karylkoch
Replied by karylkoch on topic Re: Rambling Observations
Hi monkey,
You can see by my response,I was not happy that DOD get the same privileges as military, now you really have me wiled up. We will be at Kings Bay soon, I will try to bite my tongue, but if they have the sheets that we can fill out, I think I will take one. Now the DOD person who thought she should start a petition, for more rights for DOD, maybe we should start thinking on the same lines, by only giving military, the rights they earned.

More
15 years 5 months ago #4946 by mikecfr
Replied by mikecfr on topic Re: Rambling Observations
I think many commanders and CG managers forget that most CG's were not built with tax dollars. They were built with MWR funds that came from the money we spent at BX/PX/NEX and other services provided for us. About all we can do is put it in ICE and hope for the best.

More
15 years 5 months ago #4947 by Hawkeye 84
As you can see by my status, I'm a "newbie" so forgive me, but here goes; What is ICE? How can it help us in the complaint dept? :-

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds