The Commissary - It’s worth the trip

More
15 years 9 months ago #3944 by FastEagle
Our Commissary’s and Exchanges take a lot of negative hits that are just plain old myths. The web site listed below is very informative and will even provide you the opportunity to receive periodic updates. It also has links to the Exchanges.

www.commissaries.com/

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3945 by mikecfr
Personally, we shop the commissary often and with coupons and their prices, save a lot of money. I don't put much stock in the negativity.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3946 by monkey44
I agree it's worth the trip -- matter of fact, I'm making the 200 mile round-trip from Cape Cod to Newport tomorrow -- and when I do this, about once a month, I just take the day, camp overnight, and load up the shopping, and save the money, including paying for fuel ... because I figured it out and it definitely saves $$$, plus I get a great day driving along the coast and a night camping. :)

Again -- the fuel on base is regulated as is cigarette price (I buy fuel, but no cigarettes) -- and it is kinda a piss-off that happens because some business OUTSIDE the base needs to make a profit ... I'm guessing because the fuel companies have lots of money and lots of juice in Congress. Not sure we can ever change that, but just because it is like that, does not make it right ... ???

More
15 years 9 months ago #3950 by Chancellor
Everytime we go on a trip I load up the food in the com's even looks better than at the local stores. Always find good cut of meats and my wife says the veggies look better.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3951 by usn600
We do our big shopping at the commissary, plan our trips when we have doctors appointment or other needs near the base. I seldom buy gas, since I can get it cheaper off base. The exchange is a loser, we only buy high priced items since the only savings is sales tax.

More
15 years 9 months ago #3952 by Sandman
The Commissary can be a great deal.. everything is not a deal.. most things are but not everything.. as we travel around we notice that our home commissaries (Ft Belvoir and Quantico) have many more coupons hanging in the aisles than some other commissaries. Milk, bread chicken and cereal can be very very good deals..

I'm going tomorrow.. should load up the truck..

For produce, no one beats the Asian Supermarkets in Northern Virginia.. if you have one in your area check it out..

Time to create page: 0.407 seconds