Military Campground Advisory Council

More
15 years 11 months ago #3312 by cheldreth
Larry has done a great job of bringing us all together under a common topic of military campgrounds and he should be and is recognized for his great work.

As I camp at military campgrounds and read all of the comments here, it seems that there are common threads through so many of the comments. The one things that stands out is the consistency of the inconsistency of quality and standardization of basic features that all military campgrounds should have. The military has long used advisory councils to get the input of the people actually using services provided for their benefit.

This website is an ideal vehicle for trying to bring some standardization to military campgrounds by making recommendations on what makes a great campground that meets the needs of the military RVing community. We have some great military campgrounds that should be used as examples of what all campgrounds should be. We have other facilities that are being run by non RVers who have no idea about the potential of their operations.

Right now we see military campgrounds that admit civilians with no military affiliation. We see campgrounds that allow groups of people to actually reserve sites a year in advance denying equal access to these sites. We have campgrounds installing 30 amp sites without sewer connections and explaining that "this is what their guests wanted in a campground." Homesteaders are drawing housing allowances and staying in military campgrounds thereby actually personally profiting from an MWR operation. It is clear that campgrounds within an hour or two of each other do not share any information and lessons learned.

Perhaps it is time for members of this site to form a council that could present some suggestions and recommendations to someone who can make a difference. The composition of such a council should include active duty and retired members, some spouse representation and even DOD active and retired civilian membership to some extent. Camp hosts can be a great source of information since they live in the campgrounds and probably have more contact with campground guests than the employed campground staff.

I have seen over the past five years a tremendous increase in the use of our campgrounds. This is going to lead to larger facilities in the future and now is the time to make recommendations before expensive mistakes are made during design and construction.

I cannot imagine that at DOD and service department level well developed recommendations would not be accepted. It may even lead to the creation of authorized advisory councils at those levels that can indeed fix many of the concerns that get expressed every day on this site.

Yes, we can make a difference!

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3314 by FastEagle
I suggest you go back to the drawing board and line your ducks up. Your knowledge on this subject is very weak.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
15 years 11 months ago #3315 by rvgrammy1953
Curt.....the powers to be are not friendly to change......good luck!! As camphosts this last winter, we found that lots can be changed locally, but DOD wide ::) Will watch with interest.....

Lori and Dock

More
15 years 11 months ago #3320 by cheldreth
Fast Eagle:

Every one of the examples I have given in my post was lifted right from this website.

I have read with interest all of your posts to this site and find that your information to be very good.

I believe that your cheap shot at what I had hoped to be a very productive discussion is very much beneath you. My post was written with careful concern to address the very real issues that we all face.

If what I have written is of no value, this thread will die out of lack of interest.

Have a nice day!

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
15 years 11 months ago #3321 by cheldreth
RV Grammy:

I am currently a campground host at Camp Lejeune and thoroughly enjoy my work here. I am sure that you are correct in what you say.

I am not very patient at times so when I get bored, I start to think of ways to improve things. It is a curse, but sometimes one person can indeed make a difference.

Thanks for the post,

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
15 years 11 months ago #3322 by karylkoch
I posted a comment early this morning and apparently it didn't go through. Fast Eagle I felt your comment was condescending, and should of had an explanation of why you felt the knowledge of the subject was weak. Curt made some valid points, especially when it came to DOD and Homesteading. The homesteading post is one of the longest in this forum. It only takes one person, to get the ball rolling.

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds