I don't believe it!!

More
15 years 11 months ago #3268 by larrygranny1
We ahve found that going on base/post to buy is generally a waste of time. We are 30 miles from Ft Bliss, The prices in the PX are many times higher then off post, the fuel is ..maybe 2 cents cheaper. By the time we drive over, with the price of fuel today, we have lost most of our saving power. Just my thought. In Mayport NAS, the price of fuel in April was an average of 8 cents more per gallon then off base. You would think that at least they could drop the federal tax per gaL AND MAKE IT WORTH WHILE.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #3410 by MSgtK
Replied by MSgtK on topic Re: I don't believe it!!
20 years ago, at MacDill AFB, I noticed gas was a few cents cheaper. After the budget and manning cuts of the 90's, I never saw cheaper gas again. Some bases give a good deal and some don't. I keep track of Sam's Club price and if the base is more, I won't fill up. If it is the same or less, I do to "supposedly" support MWR. Ft Stewart use to have the cheapest gas in town for many years, but today - forget it! I also agree with the commisary comments - the only good ones I have seen in 20 years are MacDill (haven't been there in many years though) and Ft Stewart. I shopped at WalMart at all my other duty stations because the comissary lines were long, prices were higher and they had more junk food than anything. Maybe we should have side comissary rating, so we know when to take the time to shop at a particular comissary during our RV travels.

More
15 years 10 months ago #3417 by retiredarmy
I was told awhile back that the military gas stations take an average of the area gas prices around the base and then post their price. At Ft Gordon, GA last week unleaded regular was 3.83.9 and the stations around the base were a few pennies more. Today I couldn't say but I normally get my fuel in SC where I live since its cheaper than in GA. Also, a comment about commissaries: The one at Ft Benning is very large with wide aisles and is well stocked (at least it was that way last year). The commissary at Ft Gordon is much smaller with narrow aisles but they get you through the checkouts in record time. :D

Time to create page: 0.498 seconds