I don't believe it!!

More
15 years 11 months ago #3236 by karylkoch
A long while ago, it might of even been on the old site, there was a discussion about gas prices on military bases. The consensus was, the reason the prices were not cheaper, but the same as the outside, was the bases promised they would not compete with outside prices. It was one of the dumbest things I had ever heard, but it explained why the base prices were not cheaper.

Had a doctors appointment today, and we drove from DE to Ft Meade. We stopped at the base gas station before our trip back. We could not believe our eyes the gas was 20 cents cheaper a gallon, than on the outside. The base was the cheapest of any place we passed.

Have they had a change of heart, or was this a fluke? Has anyone else noticed this at other bases? ??? ??? :o :o

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3237 by Sandman
Replied by Sandman on topic Re: I don't believe it!!
Just filled up at Quantico and then saw cheaper prices out on the beach..

Pax River has good prices, they match a BJs in town.. there are lots of stations around Pax that are more..

Who knows.. maybe an Exchange employee was throwing a retiree a bone..

More
15 years 11 months ago #3238 by johnandmari
Based on my experience, the Base Service Stations will raise/lower prices when the tanker delivers a new load of fuel. Interesting story – about six-eight years ago, while in the BX at Peterson AFB, Colorado, an announcement was made over the intercom advising everyone that gas prices would increase the following morning at the base service station – by 15 cents. A mad dash out the front door was made by all. As that was the only time that EVER happened, I am not certain the individual who made that announcement was supposed to have done so - LOL!

BTW - I agree that typically, off-base and on-base prices are about the same, with some off-base locations charging a few cents less (we all know which stations are cheaper, don't we!!). ;D

More
15 years 11 months ago #3241 by bill6750
Replied by bill6750 on topic Re: I don't believe it!!
Prices at Ft. Leonardwood Mo. are about the same as off base. Within a few cents anyway.

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
15 years 11 months ago #3242 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: I don't believe it!!
QUOTE: "...bases promised they would not compete with outside prices. It was one of the dumbest things I had ever heard, but it explained why the base prices were not cheaper."

Well, guess what?? That dumbest thing you ever heard was me in that post. And, it not "the base agreed" ... According to the BX supervisor in Kings Bay, it's the law that no base will compete unfairly with off-base gas stations. So, it's not an individual base "thing" or choice.

And, it shows us who has the "power to regulate" gas prices ... I can't imagine a food supplier getting away with forcing the commissary to charge a non-competitive price.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3243 by karylkoch
Replied by karylkoch on topic Re: I don't believe it!!

QUOTE: "...bases promised they would not compete with outside prices. It was one of the dumbest things I had ever heard, but it explained why the base prices were not cheaper."

Well, guess what?? That dumbest thing you ever heard was me in that post. And, it not "the base agreed" ... According to the BX supervisor in Kings Bay, it's the law that no base will compete unfairly with off-base gas stations. So, it's not an individual base "thing" or choice.

And, it shows us who has the "power to regulate" gas prices ... I can't imagine a food supplier getting away with forcing the commissary to charge a non-competitive price.

Well, I guess it was just a fluke, and we probably should not expect the same value, when we go back. I guess I should of said, "unfair" instead of dumbest. The military risk there lives, so we can have oil, along with the freedom to use it, and they still can't cut a break.

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds