Uniformity

More
17 years 1 month ago #320 by karylkoch
Uniformity was created by karylkoch
After reading a lot about military campgrounds, there seems to be problems that are hard to address, It seems that the largest complaint, is about space, different rules from one campground to another, and homesteaders. I have read that the base commander sets the policy of the campground. I find this unusual in it's self, because the commanders have enough to do, and many know nothing about camping. We have been fulltiming for almost 5 years, and have been to many of the military campgrounds. We are finding many of them are becoming like trailer parks, and since RV means recreation vehicle, I feel the RV parks, should be for transient Rvs.
Has anyone every thought of starting a partition, stating what problems you see, at the Military rv parks?
Though it would take a lot of copies and stamps to send them to all of the base commanders, I think because of the increase of rv's, this problem needs to be address. As the post war babies age, there will be even more added to the list, of people wanting rv space. ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #325 by Chiefswife
Replied by Chiefswife on topic Re: Uniformity
We haven't done much military camping yet but planning to head out next month and I will probably feel your frustration then. You might want to just write the CO a letter and voice your concerns, might make you feel better, but don't know if it or a petition would help.

More
17 years 1 month ago #328 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Re: Uniformity
I think this topic deserves a lot of thought before taking action. While it would be nice to have all of the military campgrounds operating with uniformity, there are some Base Commanders that might shut them down in order to shut us up. MWR and Special Services have come a long way in the past 10-20 years with the development, and maintenance of famcamps along with supplying gear for us to check out and use. I too would like to see uniformity amoung the military campgrounds. However, I don't want what we have now to deteriorate. All I am saying is, "approach with caution".

1stSGT.

More
17 years 1 month ago #340 by karylkoch
Replied by karylkoch on topic Re: Uniformity
I see your point. I was having a very bad day, and getting frustrated with the different rules at the Campgrounds, and the wide range of pricing.

More
17 years 1 month ago #344 by fiatspider79
Replied by fiatspider79 on topic Re: Uniformity
Perhaps it is simply my masochistic tendencies but I kind of enjoy pulling into a new campground wondering what challenges and fun are in store for me this time. I keep a log of where we were, what we encountered and suggestions for future visits, if any.

On the other side of that is the reality that unless the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, each of the Chief's and the Civilian Secretaries all become RVers, there will never be a real priority given to this minority interest.

What is most unfortunate is that most Services and MWR types consider military campgrounds a drain on their resources, when in reality, they can be run well at no additional cost and no increase in most fees.

Oh well, it's good to talk about but not real, so I will just get ready for my next learning experience.

Glenn

More
17 years 1 month ago #425 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Uniformity
It would be nice to have some uniformity in the CG's ... as we are all accustomed to that somewhat due to the military experience we all share. But, we also share that sometimes elusive ability to "get the job done" when a problem occurs.

One issue that will always create additional problems with these issues (and other issues) is when a group, or even several individuals, contact any CO with "complaints", the "complainer" will often stop there, and offer no solutions.

It is much easier to crab about a problem than it is to think it through and understand why that problem exists, and then to follow on and create a solution that addresses the problem, but is "doable" at the same time ... budget constraints will affect each of these issues, and so if we (or some group) decide to address it, the results will be digestable by the CO if he can see a potential resolution -- not necessarily that we are more insightful than a Co might be, but because we understand what creates the problem and how to resolve it due to our own personal experience with it... Any leader will better respond to a situtation when it comes to him complete, instead of asking him to investigate it cold without seeing both sides ...

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds