New guy: going FT next year...so much to learn...

More
16 years 6 days ago #3201 by FastEagle
Hi Senior,

I see that your wife may be a little apprehensive about driving a large class “A”. This recommendation is probably going to start a string of other recommendations. Anyhow, here goes. As you can see by my signature in this forum I pull a 38' 5th wheel with a large Diesel truck. We purchased our 5th wheel at one of the largest RV dealers in the country ( www.lazydays.com/ ) . They are located in Seffner, FL. Once you purchase a unit from them you become a lifetime member and with that membership comes loads of benefits. They have regularly scheduled driving classes for all types of RVs and all the classes are certified and will help to reduce you insurance costs among other things. The classes are hands on type classes and are highly recommended for people that may be a little apprehensive about driving a large rig with a toad. I see by your profile that you are in IL and going to a FL dealer may not be advantageous but there may be such a dealer within your driving range.

FastEagle

p.s. The RV Driver Confidence Course can be found under the RV lifestyle tab on the Lazydays web page.

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 5 days ago #3202 by a Guest
MikeyD
Just another thought, if you are going full time, do consider purchasing your rig in FL, or at least registering either in FL, SD, or Texas. These three states can save you a LOT on taxes, etc. and it is easy and legal. South Dakota has no state income tax, and only a 3 % tax on the purchase of the RV. You can do everything thru a mail service. I'm not sure how Florida and Texas work it, but you can bet that there will plenty of advise comming aboth these states very soon. If you want, I can provide the web address of one of these services.
When you buy your rig, tell the dealer that you will be registering it out of state and they will not charge you the local state tax and will give you a temporary registration, (I know, I have done it).
This applies if you are going full time. If you still keep you local residence, you may have some problems, and I am sure these will be brought to light by others.
Frank

More
16 years 5 days ago #3203 by maltruck8
In response to purchasing in Fl. I am a resident of Ms. Jan of 2007 We bought a new 5th wheel in Fl. The dealer had to charge sales tax on the unit. When I got to Ms. to register it, Ms wanted to charge the sales tax again. Ms does not have an agreement with Fl for the sales tax. The only way I could avoid paying another 7% on the purchase was to register the trailer in Fl. If you plan to buy in another state, you need to check with your state about the taxes before you buy. By the way the dealer, Bates RV in Tampa, told me that they were sending the tax money to Ms., they lied.

More
16 years 5 days ago #3204 by FastEagle
I know Bates RV, They are just down the road from Lazydays and are actually in Dover, FL.

The information in my previous post has been misunderstood. I’m not recommending that you should cross state lines to buy a rig. I’m just pointing out things to look for when searching for a dealer. We looked at Jayco & Teton 5th wheels at Bates but did not like their organization. By the way, we are FL residents. I pay $37.50 a year for my 5th wheel registration and $75.10 for my truck. There is no personal property tax in FL.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
15 years 11 months ago #3233 by Mikey_D
Thanks again all. Been away for awhile on vacation. Went on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbeans' Mariner of the Seas. Had a great time but now it's back to work. The more I read, research and hear from everyone we're leaning towards a Class A diesel pusher. The driving school for large RVs sounds great. Will definitely look into that. Will probably establish our home of record either in Texas or South Dakota prior to making the big move. I'm leaning more towards Texas as I've always considered moving there anyway. For now, it's back to the grind. One week away and two weeks of work piled up. (Remember those days? LOL) Will catch up with everyone later. Mikey D.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3263 by Mailman01
Mikey D, there is another site that also has a lot if info for the potential full-timer, that being RV-Dreams.com. The folks there are very forthcoming with all their monthly budgets and may be helpful.. Marty

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds