New guy: going FT next year...so much to learn...

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 1 week ago #3160 by a Guest
I told my DW about the "something in something out "rule and she said fine. Only later I realized that I did not specify that it pertained to her stuff, as I noticed that some of "my" stuff was comming up missing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago #3164 by rvgrammy1953
LOL....Frank.....Sandy, you go girl!!!! LOL

Ah..hummm.....Sorry, Mikey.....but we know these folks....anyways....another woman's view here....we planned for 4 years and started our adventure 4 years ago.....sold the house, called the kids to come get their inheritance and asked them to store the "stuff you get rid of when we die" stuff...lol...about 6 totes worth.....then told them we're spending the rest of their inheritance....lol....I belong to a womens Rv forum....hosted by RVamerica.....great bunch of gals (and some like me with DHs)....lots of info and women views on Rving......I also have craft hobbies....counted cross stitch & crocheting....so have a bench storage just for that....we have a 26' 5th wheel and have plenty of room for our needed stuff...we have a rule.....if you haven't used it or worn it in 6 months, out it goes.....works great!!! We summer in a campground in PA so we do maintain a 10' x10' storage shed there....I don't mind using the laundry facilities at most campgrounds, so w/d in our unit is not a "must" for me....but to each their own.....we full-time on $2700/mo. (before truck and 5er payment) and do well....the gas prices are an issue, but plan to just stay longer (a month) in places, if possible, then move on, this coming fall.....hope this helps some.....

Lori and Dock

More
16 years 1 week ago #3168 by Mikey_D
LOL Thanks Frank, Sandy, Lori, Chief and eveyone else. All great input. I think we're on the right track; all that's left is preparation and time. A used class A diesel pusher does sound like the way to go. Biggest rigs I ever drove were a cargo truck and a bulldozer. Going to take some getting used to driving a big ol bus with a toad Jeep! But, it's not like I'm the first or only one to ever do it. Question is: can the DW do it? (and would my heart be able to handle that? ) Jenny is into stained glass and my inerests tend to be more into geology these days. But fishing still trumps all. We'll be traveling with our two dogs; shepherds...and from what I've read so far it looks like they'll have to be my constant companions everywhere I go for the most part. Unfortunately, they like to bark a lot. They're young (2 & 3) so I guess they're still "trainable" as far as that goes. Well, I need to get back to the work at hand. Take care and enjoy all. Thanks again. Wish we were out there with you. Soon.... Mikey D

More
16 years 1 week ago #3169 by karylkoch
Me again, the other women. You plan on letting you wife drive your rig? My DH would rather be thrown under a truck, than have me drive. He had surgery for a ruptured disc, in his neck, and could not drive. When we are together, I just let him drive, because driving is not my favorite thing to do. Well, would you believe after the second time that I drove, he asked me to pull over, and let him out? I'm not a cusser, but I do use the word idiot a lot. I also had a mild panic attack, trying to negotiate, one of those circles, to make you slow down. While on the subject of me and my driving, I would like to mention last year I got an ad for an insurance that will drive or fly a spouse, to wherever they need to go, in case of a medical emergency. They would even pay for a relative to come and drive your rig if needed. I can not remember the name of the company, but maybe one of out forum members might. We had thought of getting it, because it was so reasonable. We decided we would wait since, we are staying close to home again. (Daughter is going to nursing school and we are helping with the grandchildren) Though we are traveling this summer we are still staying rather close, since we will be going back to help our daughter with her last year of nursing. I guess I should add that we are not just nice people, pandering to our daughter, but her husband left her with 5 children, and we wanted to help. Please keep in mind, life can interrupt plans, but if you roll with the punches, it works out. We even got to volunteer in MS after Katrina, so the fulfillment in this lifestyle, is what you make of it, and it can give you great rewards.

I also agree with Lori, if you don't use it in 6 months get rid of it. This includes clothes. I just have cleaned out the cabinets, including the medicine cabinet, and under the bed. Now for that something in something out rule, I feel I am set to go, after several trash bags, and give a way stuff, is gone. ;D ;D :) :)

More
16 years 1 week ago #3174 by oldchief46

You plan on letting you wife drive your rig? My DH would rather be thrown under a truck, than have me drive. He had surgery for a ruptured disc, in his neck, and could not drive. When we are together, I just let him drive, because driving is not my favorite thing to do. Well, would you believe after the second time that I drove, he asked me to pull over, and let him out? I'm not a cusser, but I do use the word idiot a lot. I also had a mild panic attack, trying to negotiate, one of those circles, to make you slow down. While on the subject of me and my driving, I would like to mention last year I got an ad for an insurance that will drive or fly a spouse, to wherever they need to go, in case of a medical emergency. They would even pay for a relative to come and drive your rig if needed. I can not remember the name of the company, but maybe one of out forum members might. We had thought of getting it, because it was so reasonable. We decided we would wait since, we are staying close to home again. (Daughter is going to nursing school and we are helping with the grandchildren) Though we are traveling this summer we are still staying rather close, since we will be going back to help our daughter with her last year of nursing. I guess I should add that we are not just nice people, pandering to our daughter, but her husband left her with 5 children, and we wanted to help. Please keep in mind, life can interrupt plans, but if you roll with the punches, it works out. We even got to volunteer in MS after Katrina, so the fulfillment in this lifestyle, is what you make of it, and it can give you great rewards.

A couple of commets on the above. 1) We are on our third Class A coach. My wife helped with the driving on both the first two, 34ft gas rigs. During that time we were still working and when we did take off for a couple of weeks it involved long driving days to get there and back. With our newest one, a 36ft diesel pusher, she can drive it if necessary but with five to six hour driving days I seldom give up the wheel. It is still important that both parties be able to drive in the event of an emergency.
2) If you are driving a motorhome you are eligible to join Family Motor Coach Associaion (FMCA). Included in their membership is the Med-X, I think that is what it is called, that covers the expense of getting you home in the event of a medical situation and pays for a driver to get your rig back home. In May of 2007 we had good friends with us at a RV rally in Louisiana when he had a heart attack. When he was released from the hospital FMCA put them on a plane home and hired a driver to drive their coach back to Florida. There are many other benefits for joining FMCA but that alone is worth the $35.00 per membership fee.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 1 week ago #3176 by karylkoch

A couple of comets on the above. 1) We are on our third Class A coach. My wife helped with the driving on both the first two, 34ft gas rigs. During that time we were still working and when we did take off for a couple of weeks it involved long driving days to get there and back. With our newest one, a 36ft diesel pusher, she can drive it if necessary but with five to six hour driving days I seldom give up the wheel. It is still important that both parties be able to drive in the event of an emergency.

I must say I admire any women who can drive a big rig!!! Since I have trouble driving a car, and I only drive because, I don't want to depend on others, it is not a good idea to put me behind tons of metal and the rest of the world. I guess that is why they have that great insurance option, for people like me. I know of some man who will not drive anything bigger than a class C, so I guess it is not it is not just a issue for women. It could be hereditary, since my son is also not the worlds best driver, and when he is with his wife, she does the driving. We both do not have any sense of direction and a problem with perception, which makes us terrible parallel parker's. The only big difference is I admit I have a problem.

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds