Guns on Military Installations

More
16 years 3 months ago #2581 by Wadcutter

What if you're a police officer? Any ideas?

I spent 27 yrs as a state LEO. When preparing for a presidential visit we met on a USAF base for a pre-arrival meeting. I was wearing my LEO uniform in my assigned squad car. I pulled up to the gate and the SF guy at the gate asked if I had any weapons in my car. I replied that I had my issued Glock 22, my backup S&W 649, my issued 870 shotgun, and my RRA AR along with about 1500 rds total of various ammo and some tear gas and flash bangs. He looked at me for a couple of seconds and then flagged me thru. I really believe when he asked the question it was from habit and he wasn't thinking.
Since retiring as a LEO I've only been asked twice when entering a base if I had any firearms in my vehicle. Both times I told them I did and showed them my retired LEO ID. Both times the guards only response was they asked that I not to carry on the installation. I never felt a need to carry on a militlary installation and responded that's what they were getting paid to do. Don't have any idea what the next installation will require but the ones I've been to have been very accommodating as a retired LEO and retired USAF SF cmdr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 weeks ago #3071 by FastEagle
The NEX at MCAS Yuma, AZ has a large selection of hand guns for sale but one has to be a resident of AZ or show their PCS orders to MCAS Yuma to purchase one. Darn, thought I was going to save me some bucks on a new 380 auto.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds