Guns on Military Installations

More
16 years 3 months ago #2567 by skyking8
Thought I might pass along some info on a recent event involving my taking a handgun onto a military installation.

While I was in my towed, I recently got stopped at a main gate checkpoint where random searches of vehicles are involved. As luck would have it, I was the randomee. I was asked if I had any guns in the car. The reply was ?Yes? then I produced my state concealed handgun permit and a firearm registration from another military base. However, by the initial reaction of the rent-a-cop, one would have thought I was carrying a nuclear bomb on base.

The MPs were summoned and the Provost Marshall was called. Despite being be outnumbered, I had a calm and lengthy discussion - wherein no one on their side - had a standard answer to the perceived problem. It was determined that if I unloaded the weapon then I could proceed onto the installation as planned. I was pleasantly surprised that they acted with courtesy and professionalism, to include the rent-a-cop after he calmed down. Thanks to their professionalism and advice, I came away with some valuable lessons.

1-If you are going to have a firearm in a vehicle, or on your person, then take whatever measures are necessary to acquire a concealed handgun permit. Believe me - it lends to your credibility for carrying one. Despite our military background in qualifying with various weapons, I can assure you that going thru a handgun class will educate you on various local and state laws and having that is the key to credibility with law enforcement personnel. In this case, it certainly was.
2-Register your handgun on a military installation. We can?t be expected to do that for every installation we visit, but doing so at least once will boost your credibility with other installations. Registering your firearm typically only involves taking its serial number and description to the PM and filling out some paperwork. I?ve had more hassle and longer waits in registering a vehicle than a handgun.
3-When you register your firearm with the PM, get several copies of that installation?s handgun regulation. Store them wherever you have a firearm. If for no other reason, it will show the rent-a-cop, MP, or PM officer that you are aware of the rules and are attempting to comply.

Despite the inconvenience and time spent being delayed at the gate, I view this incident as an educational process. I know that I can carry personal protection in my vehicle(s) as long as my paperwork and credibility is without question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #2569 by monkey44
Not sure if this is or will ever become the "norm" ... but at the Sub-Base in Kings Bay GA, all guns are required to be checked into the armory when you arive at the base, and then you pick it up when you leave.

Not sure what that does realistically, because a person shows and declares the gun, goes into the base, and carries it over to the armory. Anyone wants a gun on base "for mischief", has it on base unsupervised for that period of time, at least. It's a strange rule for me, but appears "Base Specific" at this time anyway. In my opinion, Kings Bay has significanly higher security than other bases where I've been -- as example, my bike was checked, registration, gloves, boots, helmet, and every safety item when I rode it through the gate - even though the bike has a sticker.

Although it could be a function of "submarine" security -- it's higher than the SAC measures at MacDill.

More
16 years 3 months ago #2570 by RVRoo
What if you're a police officer? Any ideas?

More
16 years 3 months ago #2571 by skyking8
I would assume that some installations have higher security issues than others. But seems overly restrictive to lock up guns in an armory, especially if it isn't open 24/7. Secondly, what about going on an installation to use recreational firing ranges and/or skeet club facilities?

I have a relative who is a Sheriff's deputy. When not in uniform, he shows the badge and ID at the gate and then is waved on. Don't know about other places.

More
16 years 3 months ago #2573 by monkey44
Kings Bay armory might be open 24/7 -- I don't know, as I don't carry weapons personally. But know that different bases have different rules and security for whatever reasons the command feels it necessary. My recommendation would be for anyone with a weapon to check prior to heading to that base, or at least declare and ask at the gate.

Far as police - sheriffs go ... seems to me that's a whole different ball-game, as there is no "off-duty" in that regard, and is probably dealt with differently than personal firearms.

More
16 years 3 months ago #2579 by utmtman
Interesting, thanks for the info. I carry a 22 rifle and 22 pistol in my motor home. Both are in gun cases, one under the bed one in a drawer. More for plinking than for anything else.

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds