Categorize yourself

More
16 years 4 months ago #2326 by skyking8
Replied by skyking8 on topic Re: Categorize yourself
It appears that the more RVing experience one has, the less the reliance on reservations. The two caveats would be the ability to have a rig that is ?self contained? and also not be a weekender. I don?t think I?d leave it up to luck if I were in a tent camper during a busy weekend. I rarely make reservations, but as we?re moving down the road I do hedge a bit by making a same day cell call to a campground to see if they have room for us.

Like some others don?t know where we?d fit in on the scale. Have owned TT, 5W, and now motor home. After retirement we full timed for 3 years, but now completing the ?retirement? house. It?s more of an investment than a need because we are still on the road more than in it. Guess we?re what?s called extended travelers. Out for several months at a time taking a part time job to pay expenses and then move on. Don?t usually stay in one place more than a few weeks. That?s why they put wheels on these things.

Full timer or weekend warrior, there?s nothing like RVing. It doesn?t get any better than sitting outside, in 72-degree weather, drinking a brew, and watching the Cowboys beat up on the Patriots. OK, I stretched it a little on the last one.

Bblhed> I?m not familiar with all the types of tow hitches, but my blue ox has pressure release handles that puts slack in each of the two arms so that I don?t have to use a punch and hammer to unhook the towed. I push the handles, grab the bumper with one hand and rock the vehicle, then pull the pins with the other.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #2327 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Categorize yourself
You better drink a few more of those brewskies if you think the Cowboys will beat the Patriots this season ... :D :D ;D

More
16 years 4 months ago #2368 by AdventPreacher
The Cowboys have beat the Patriots before, and they will again...but not this year!

More
16 years 4 months ago #2370 by monkey44
And, to get back on topic:

My camping is as often as I can. I am retired (USN and DAV too), but wife is not retired yet -- and she likes camping less than I do, so I often go alone for weeks at a time and all over the country.

Generally stay for a couple weeks [the longest] at the MCGs, state parks and national parks, but more often less than a week in any given area. Then head out and find another place to explore. If I have FHU, that's great and I stay longer when that's available, but have no problem with No HU, or partial HU ... can dry-camp for about a week without getting water and dumping ... longer if I'm careful. I almost never make reservations ...

Right now, I run in a small, light, self-contained TC and sometimes a 6x10 trailer for my MC, but am looking at a larger TC for next year. Also, am considering a Toyhauler with living quarters instead, then can haul bike and have a little more room... Tough decision, because the 6x10 has plenty of "carry" room ... just the TC is a little tight and less well equipped than I'd like. Also, TC can bring my living quarters where a TH can not go easily -- and I really like camping the back-country while I still can. So am leaning toward larger TC and keep 6x10 Cargo for bike and "stuff" -- will choose sometime soon and start comparing -- but like the Roadmaster TH for that option if I do choose it. Soooooooooooooo many choices ???

More
16 years 4 months ago #2372 by bill6750
Replied by bill6750 on topic Re: Categorize yourself
ok, what is a TC????

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
16 years 4 months ago #2373 by monkey44
TC = Truck Camper -- slides into back of my pickup ... generally so you can tow a trailer or boat as well as "living space" ... some have full baths w/shower, some don't.

Mine has shower and hot water as well as kitchen and cabover Q-bed. Dinette converts to two-bed, also has a captain's one-bunk above the dinette area ... will sleep five if you like one another enough. Weighs 2100 lbs wet, loaded and ready to go -- need a HD pick-up not a half-ton to carry one, especially if you also tow cargo trailer. Can use half-ton if you have no bathroom ... no bath weighs about 1200-1500 lbs.

Can go into back-country anywhere a 4x4 truck can go if you're careful of its height around canyons and trees ... can dry-camp easily a week or so ... then need to dump tanks and fill water -- can go longer if really careful with water and waste. One propane tank lasts a month if no heat required. Has its own battery -- like TT -- and gas/elect fridge and gas heater as well as A/C ... A/C needs hook-ups, can't run on battery ... everything else is self-contained. Small in size but extremely versatile for state and national parks --

Probably don't want to full-time in one unless you're alone. But have done short-term (a week or so) with wife and kids w/tent. Probably more than you need to know about TC's, huh?? M44

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds