ID Cards for Retired DOD Civilians

More
16 years 5 months ago #2191 by llshaw
I have just read the thread about ID cards for retired DOD civilians so please excuse me in being late to chime in.

It seems like everyone who posted to the thread either was for or against DOD civilians using military CG's. I am a retired DOD civilian and my husband is a "still working" DOD civilian. When I retired I was issued a retired DOD civilian ID card. This allows me to get on the base and still use facilities like the clubs, eating establishments and CG's. Being a DOD civilian does not allow me to use the BX/PX, commissary, hospital, etc unless I am on orders. Then I have the same privileges as a military member. DOD civilians may not have to constantly move, pull children from schools and friends, and everything else that goes with it, but did you know that under a new congressional decision, DOD civilians can be deployed in times of conflict just like military? Well, they can. Did you know that a lot of military members retire and turn right around and get DOD civilian jobs, a lot of times the same desk/job they occupied as active duty? One individual I know retired as a Colonel and three months later got a job as a GS-14 DOD civilain. Yet you say civilians get the better paying jobs. On the job listing that the retired Colonel was on, there were two other retired Colonels hoping to get the job. In addition, to at least 10 civilians hoping for a promotion.

I know that some civilian supervisors who have military working for them don't know squat about the military rating system, but there are some military supervisors who have civilians who don't know squat about the civilian system.

There will always a contention between military and civilian regarding the use of certain facilities. But I think we all need to remember that just because we don't wear the uniform, we are still serving our country. And don't forget that some of those civilians may not be in a uniform for physical reasons but can still play a part in the defense of our country in another capacity. Don't think that we have not worked the long hours. I have worked a lot of all nighters, changed shifts during an exercise, worked holidays, weekends and missed special occasions with my family. And to top it all off, I am an Army brat. My father served his country for 22 years. So I know what it is like.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #2194 by bill6750
I suppose you were deployed to a combat zone and fired at and rode down the road to an unexpected roadside bomb too?

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
16 years 4 months ago #2227 by oldchief46
Or pulled your shipmates bodies out of the gun turret after the explosion? Sorry, I worked with many very fine civilian employees in my career but none of them were subject to the same restraints or requirements of the military member. Not all military personnel serve in combat roles but just by the nature of the service they are subject to being sent into combat at any time. When we stood up that first day and swore allegience to our service/country we voluntarily put our lives on the line.

I don't have any problem with DOD Civilians using the CG's on a space A status, but when the military, active or retiree, needs a space the civilian needs to move on.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 4 months ago #2241 by mikecfr

Or pulled your shipmates bodies out of the gun turret after the explosion? Sorry, I worked with many very fine civilian employees in my career but none of them were subject to the same restraints or requirements of the military member. Not all military personnel serve in combat roles but just by the nature of the service they are subject to being sent into combat at any time. When we stood up that first day and swore allegience to our service/country we voluntarily put our lives on the line.

[I don't have any problem with DOD Civilians using the CG's on a space A status, but when the military, active or retiree, needs a space the civilian needs to move on.]

I agree with you oldchief, maybe you and others could e-mail or write to ICE about civilians moving on at Pine View campground in Wisconsin. All civilians have the same status as military. In fact, if you want to get in on the weekend, you can't, because it's full of civilians.

More
16 years 4 months ago #2272 by llshaw
I can see where this is going. So I am very sorry I started this thread. There will always be contention between the rights of DOD civilians and military, whether retired or active. It would be a lot better for all if everyone could get along. Between myself and my husband we have worked better than 50 years for the DOD. I do not claim any special privledges or ask for any. But I also don't feel we should be exempted because we did not sign on the dotted line, pull buddies from gun turrets, or get deployed to a combat zone. It was your choice just as it was our choice not to sign up.

Not everyone see things in the same light as you do. Why should we have to move on if you want a space? Personally I think only active duty should have priority. If you are retired military, why should you be treated any different than a retired DOD civilian (who by the way cannot use the CG, only if you are still employed and my husband is)? As a former protocol weenie, you still hold your rank but you no longer wear the uniform. I happen to know several retired general officers who think they still are wearing their stars. We give them the courtesy they deserve, however, if they are in billeting and an active duty, DOD civilian who is on orders comes in, they have to move just like anyone else.

I will give you respect because of what you have accomplished and yes, you do deserve it. But don't put us down because we are different.

More
16 years 4 months ago #2274 by monkey44
Whoa folks - we're all in the same country here and after the same objective. The rules are the rules not opinions and we all should abide by them -- that's why we did (do) what we did (do) ... we all fought for and to maintain freedom in this country and although some choose one way and some another, we are all brothers and sisters here ...

We do have some idiots and selfish folks both in the military, in the DOD sections, and in the retired category -- but we need to judge each on individual merit instead of as a class of people. I'm just as sure there are jerk general officers out there as well as great ones, same for DOD and enlisted -- but it's the individual that acts, not the group as a whole. So, look at the person not the category...

And Quote: "Why should we have to move on if you want a space? Personally I think only active duty should have priority." I think (and most do, it seems) that move-on (besides active) holds only if and when the time limit has been reached and another qualified camper is waiting -- then everyone should rotate.

Time to create page: 0.372 seconds