What would you do?

More
16 years 6 months ago #2011 by AdventPreacher
I'll bet that the cost of fuel will be a concern when I start to spend all that money pouring diesel down the tank, but right now I'm willing to spend even $5 per gallon to pull my Montana as far as I need to in order to get out of the cold. I have camped at Fort A.P. Hill before, and spent some extended time there. It is a great fishing spot, if you like bass fishing. I have taken some out of there in excess of 8lbs. I haven't been there since 1996, but I understand that they have made some improvements. I have no personal experience with FAMCAMPs south of that base. Good point raised, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #2012 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: What would you do?
IF you go as far south as Georgia -- do not miss Kings Bay Sub Base --MCG is only a couple years old and a great place to stay ... they are expanding too, but I'm not sure when ... they said this year, but am not sure the dates and finish -- stop in for a visit, it's a nice area too.

CC pads, nice and large, easy access -- full hook-ups and even the overflow has water and electric - some of them anyway.

More
16 years 6 months ago #2013 by FastEagle
Replied by FastEagle on topic Re: What would you do?
OK! I?m a sucker for this kind of quarry so from one Mainer to another here?s my two cents worth.

Last winter we stayed in Greenville, SC. Under the ?general topics? tab in this forum go to the ?Commercial Campgrounds? section and look at ?wintering in the south for under $300.00 per month?. Also in SC is Foster Creek Campground at Charleston. We visited there this last spring and I left a detailed review under the Campground section of this forum but think it got lost when this web site was invaded by a hacker. Anyhow, when we were there in the spring they did not have a length of stay policy and even though they do not take reservations I feel sure you will have no problem getting in there when you get in the south.

Going on down I95 to the warmer Jacksonville, FL area you will find Camp Blanding. A National Guard compound just south of Jacksonville. They have been doing a lot of upgrading there and it?s another place that you can spend the winter. They do charge for pets. We had friends that spent the winter there last year and they were very happy with the campground. They are with us on our way to AZ right now.

If you go much farther south in FL you will have a hard time finding long term campsites Military/Civilian after December because the ?Snow Birds? Fill them up after the Christmas holidays.

GL - FastEagle - North Berwick

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Time to create page: 0.498 seconds