Campground Hosting

More
12 years 5 months ago #9053 by geodrake
Campground Hosting was created by geodrake
My wife and I travel the U.S. hosting campgrounds and would love to host FamCamps too. I served honorably but did not retire and do not meet the criteria for using FamCamps. Does this preclude us for volunteering as campground hosts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #9054 by rvgrammy1953
Replied by rvgrammy1953 on topic Re: Campground Hosting
replied to your e-mail...gave what info I can...

More
12 years 5 months ago #9066 by cmawest
Replied by cmawest on topic Re: Campground Hosting
i would think not. there are any number of civilian employees on the bases. check with MWR on the base you are looking at to see. my understanding is that air force don't use MWR (bless the air force) so you would need to contact the r.v. parks directly. thanks to this website larry has made that info available.

More
12 years 3 months ago #9342 by PS2
Replied by PS2 on topic Re: Campground Hosting
We have contacted several campgrounds (California and AF Academy) regarding campground hosting. We were informed that at many if not all bases the job position has gone to NAFS and the host doesn't live in the campground anymore. Also, informed to look at RRM for positions?
Has anyone else been told this?

More
12 years 2 months ago #9527 by plowman
Replied by plowman on topic Re: Campground Hosting
What are RRM positions and how do you apply for them?

More
12 years 2 months ago #9528 by cheldreth
Replied by cheldreth on topic Re: Campground Hosting
There are several web postings on this site how to find a camp hosting position.

If you are looking for one not in the military campgrounds systems, The WorkKampers.com is an excellent source to investigate. Larry who owns this website is usually looking for people to work with him in the national park system.

As far as military campgrounds, it can be a hit or miss proposition. If you are a regular at one of the campgrounds, sometimes you will find out if a host is needed at that campground. Many times Larry will get posts that a camp ground is looking for a host.

The bottom lines are: 1. No two military campgrounds are managed alike. Each one is unique and there is absolutely no consistency in how these facilities are run. 2. There is no standard camp host job description or compensation for the camp hosts. Some hosts are employees while others are considered contract employees or volunteers.

I hope that this helps. As you visit campgrounds inquire about possible positions. You also will want to visit the websites of posts, bases and stations and look for postings on the sites that are the equivalent of the Army's Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) section, The Marine Corps Community Service (MCCS) or the equivalent sites for the Navy and the Air Force.

The jobs are out there and you can find them but there is no easy way to find them.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS
The following user(s) said Thank You: plowman

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds