Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?

More
16 years 6 months ago #1619 by skyking8
In my RV travels around the country, I have most likely, and sadly, missed more scenic drives than I've experienced because I didn't know about them.

As a result of having just driven thru an extremely scenic route in NM - Hwy 64 from Raton to Taos - I had the idea that members of this website forum might wish to list their favorite scenic routes. As a matter of fact, it might be a seperate forum topic of its own. WebMaster, what do you think??

The beauty of America should be shared.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #1621 by Navyzone
I vote for an obvious choice. California State Route 1. From north to south, with a big emphasis on the Big Sur south of Monterey.

More
16 years 6 months ago #1627 by cdrcos
Through the San Juan Mountains in Colorado; from Cortez to Ridgeway on Highway 145 and then 62 - This one is great in the fall when the aspens are changing!

The Peak to Peak loop from Estes Park, Colorado through Rocky Mt. NP, south to Granby, Winter Park, and Empire, then east on I-70 to Idaho springs and back north to Estes Park via Blackhawk, Central City, Nederland, etc. We did this drive this summer and it was beautiful. (I wouldn't want to try it with a large RV since you go over the Trail Ridge (14,000+') in RMNP and also Berthoud Pass (also14,000+ feet) and a lot of hairpin turns.

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

More
16 years 6 months ago #1628 by mkebikecop
We always set our GPS to avoid freeways and move the default higher on state & local highways.

You would be suprised how many scenic & small towns that you will stop in just to look around

"Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates."
-F.E. Adcock, British classical scholar

More
16 years 6 months ago #1631 by christhebigfoot2000
Sadly as the pilot of a 40' DP with a toad behind it, I don't get to see much of the scenery unless it is on the Interstate System where much of our travel is from point A to point B. If we are doing "scenic routes" we have landed and will be in our toad...not a good height to be doing scenic routes.

Chris the Bigfoot
2001 40' American Dream
2000 Merc Mountaineer
DataStorm User # 1226

More
16 years 6 months ago #1641 by oldchief46
I drive a diesel pusher and tow a car and stay off the interstate highways as much as possible. You really don't see much of this country on the interstate. Give me a good two lane highway anytime.

A great scenic highway is from Rogers, AR, to Eureka Springs, AR. You won't do it at interstate highway speed but it is beautiful. It is up and down with a lot of curves. If you have an exhaust break it is recommended you run it the whole way. We went to Eureka Springs that way last November with our 36 foot rig with my brother in his 40 footer right behind us. Since we have friends that live there I'm sure we'll do it again.

We're leaving in mid-September for the east coast. We'll take I-40 as far as Memphis but then I've routed our trip on the back roads for the rest of the way to Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia and then wind up in Greensboro, NC, before heading back toward Oklahoma.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds