Best Gas for Gen

More
7 years 8 months ago #14848 by cruzman75
Best Gas for Gen was created by cruzman75
I own a Scag mower at home and only burn 100% Gas no (E Gas) also owned a outboard Nissan motor that I only
used 100% gas.I Just Bought 3000 and 2000 inverted gen that cophase I am thinking 100% gas will make them last longer. would like input on what others Burn!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #14865 by cdrcos
Replied by cdrcos on topic Best Gas for Gen
All my generators have been installed in the motorhome. They burn gas from the vehicle's tank. I can't see there would be much difference.

What does the owners manual say about gas? Here is what Honda says:
"FUEL RECOMMENDATIONS
This engine is certified to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a
pump octane rating of 86 or higher.
Never use stale or contaminated gasoline or an oil/gasoline mixture.
Avoid getting dirt or water in the fuel tank.
You may use regular unleaded gasoline containing no more than 10%
Ethanol (E10) or 5% Methanol by volume. In addition, Methanol must
contain cosolvents and corrosion inhibitors.
Use of fuels with content of Ethanol or Methanol greater than shown
above may cause starting and/or performance problems.
"

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by cdrcos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cruzman75

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #16519 by Swim-bike-run-1
Replied by Swim-bike-run-1 on topic Best Gas for Gen
Strictly & religiously I'd run Ethanol free fuel, called "Rec 90" in Florida is what I'd suggest...

I got my Honda 2000 Jenny off the free pile at my former marina...some deep pockets yachtie plugged up the carb burning ethanol added fuel, forms shellack where ever it sits (fuel lines/ports) which plugs up micro carb fuel ports...

I bought a new carb and gave old one to a old salt who liked to tinker (he made $50 reselling it)
Most Honda dealers stock a few of them Honda 2000 Jenny carbs as that Jenny is so popular...

Funny, there I was powered up while mooring, could've got AC but didn't...played with it for week till a guy asked if it was for sale which I said $700 (looked brand new and had a new carb/receipt)
He came back 20 minutes later with his wife in the dink (dingy boat) and they had a window mount AC unit in the dink with them...he intros her to me, she wanted to see it power up her new to her AC unit so we went over to their gin palace yacht which didn't have AC???
Her hubby needed some supervision about how to make AC unit duct so we got it together, plugged it together, she pulled the cord jennie fired up first pull for the wifie, she smiled and handed me the $700 after she heard how quite it ran/her husband looked so happy!!!....
About two days later she had it overloaded and about blew it up as it kept cutting out cuz it was overloaded? (She bought a mini fridge and tried running that with AC = too much load for Honda 2000...I told her she'd need another Honda 2000 jenny parallel or trade up to Honda 3000...she gave me a disapproving scowling look and I ignored her after that...

Retirement is fun!
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Swim-bike-run-1.

More
6 years 2 months ago #16525 by dubob
Replied by dubob on topic Best Gas for Gen

Swim-bike-run-1 wrote: ...some deep pockets yachtie plugged up the carb burning ethanol added fuel, forms shellack where ever it sits (fuel lines/ports) which plugs up micro carb fuel ports...

Wrong! Varnish (not shellac) buildup in an engine fuel system is caused by letting the fuel (any fuel) sit to long in the fuel system, NOT by burning it. My 1995 Mercury outboard engine was designed and certified to run on E10 fuel and I did so successfully for 11 years with absolutely NO issues. It had almost 1000 hours on it when I sold it and the only repair I did on it was to replace the spark plugs at about 700 hours. If your generators previous owner had followed industry standards for using fuel (of any type), then he would still own it. Todays fuels are designed to be used within short periods of time - as you do in most automobiles. When you let fuel sit in a fuel system for more than a few weeks, then you MUST put a fuel stabilizer in it for long term storage. Any optional choice would be to completely remove all fuel before long term storage. This is not practical in boats with built-in fuel tanks as I had, so I either used Sta-bil or Sea Foam for winter storage. NEVER had any issues.

Had your generator been treated with a stabilizer or emptied of fuel for storage, the previous owner would not have placed it in the trash heap. The varnish build up did NOT come from burning ethanol fuel as recommended by Honda. All of my small engine equipment (lawn mowers, wind trimmers, generators, outboards, etc) have all been run for years with stabilizer additives in the ethanol and I have never had an issue with any of them. I always put Sea Foam in all my gasoline containers that are used to fill my small engine fuel tanks and run it all year long.

Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich

Time to create page: 0.461 seconds