fuel milage question

More
10 years 7 months ago #12131 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic fuel milage question
I understand, benefits to both engines - cost vs power, etc. But, for my wallet, it takes a lot of fuel and tune-ups to account for $5000 or $6000 difference in cost.

So, I'm guessing the major benefit to diesel is the power rather than 'money' - and if you need the power because you have a heavy RV, then you need it. The claim the diesel "cost less" makes no sense.

I've never owned a diesel, so have no reference personally. But I keep reading that the cost is less because it gets great mileage - and that seems inaccurate to me. And tune-ups are only a couple hundred bucks every 100,000 miles or so, less if you do it yourself.

The noise and odor of a diesel turns me off - no matter the power too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #12132 by johnandmari
Replied by johnandmari on topic fuel milage question
Oh my, another question regarding gas/fuel mileage. MPG is so very subjective; speed and weight of vehicle, weather (hot/cold, windy or calm, if windy which way is the wind blowing, dry/humid), even the engine size/HP will affect the MPG. Also, calculating MPG based on a single tank of fuel will not accurately establish a true MPG figure – the same person driving, the same vehicle, down the same road will get two different MPG figures. The only way to come close to an accurate MPG figure is to track all fuel consumption over time.
I have tracked our fuel consumption since purchasing our 2003, 40 foot diesel pusher – Cummins 350 HP ISC 8.3; loaded and towing we weigh close to 35,000 down the road. My MPG after 75764 miles is 8.95 MPG. During the engine break-in period, I had a low MPG of 5.6 MPG for one tank – the highest achieved was two years ago at 10.9 MPG. The MPG for a trip just completed – round trip from Colorado to South Florida for a family emergency was 9.33 MPG.

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: LamSan, kimr

More
10 years 7 months ago #12133 by LamSan
Replied by LamSan on topic fuel milage question
Super response John and Marie and we do not track our fuel consumption since our coach is a 45' Tiffin Zephyr with a 500HP Cummins and we tow a big SUV. Do we get more than 7 MPG, nope but Lambert loves driving this RV and what little maintenance is required he takes care of it and we have had it for 6 years now and it performs like a champion no matter what elevation or condition we are in. Previously had a 38' Phaeton with a 330 CAT and got anywhere from 7 to 9 depending on all condtions mentioned by John and Marie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kimr

Time to create page: 0.392 seconds