fuel milage question

More
10 years 7 months ago #12095 by Hank85713
we are planning on getting a Class B+ (Class C-) and wife asked question on fuel milage. I told her 8-10, she asked about a class A, I told her probably same or less since they use same running gear (V-10, auto) and weigh more. A friend has a DP and said they get 12. We dont want anything over 30 ft so diesels are not generally available in that size.

So just need to know what folks are really getting in these things, we get about 12 with our F350 w/TT but its a small one. Looked at a Cl B+ with the same engine as out f350 and it performance was underwhelming, so looks to be the gasser in the future.

Thanks HAnk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #12109 by ErnieT
Replied by ErnieT on topic fuel milage question
Just got rid of a 30 foot gas class C. Got 7 miles to gallon. Now have a 35 foot class A gas and get 7 miles to a gallon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hank85713

More
10 years 7 months ago #12110 by Hank85713
Replied by Hank85713 on topic fuel milage question
Thanks, found a post on another site where a guy gave readouts of his trip. Lowest around 7, best 10.5, avg about 8.5!

Going to look at a diesel rig again tomorrow, another poster said he was getting around 11 in a similar rig. Just got to check it out, owner is asking way too much so will see how much give there is to get it if its in good shape.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #12112 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic fuel milage question
There was a time when diesel fuel was less than gas, and got better mileage. Now, diesel fuel is more than gas and still gets better mileage. What I don't understand is why spend so much extra for a diesel engine and still pay more for fuel. We can buy a lot, a very lot, of gas for the difference between a gas and diesel engine in the same RV.

I'm guessing around $5000+ or more for a diesel in a truck, and am not sure how much more in an RV, but am betting more than that ... and that's a lot of gas even at 10mpg or so. And the maintenance is higher as well.

So the difference in a few mpg takes a long time to break even, particularly when the price of diesel fuel is now higher than gas. Color me puzzled?
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by monkey44.

More
10 years 7 months ago #12128 by skyking8
Replied by skyking8 on topic fuel milage question
Diesel = torque, long term reliability, never needs a tune-up, better fuel mileage (offset by the cost). In a DP motor home the noise is in the back.

I have a 37' MH with Cummings 250HP diesel which was a recent downsizing from a 40' 330HP Cat. One would think my fuel mileage would have been better, but not so. 8 mpg with tow and 9 without...on flat ground.

Monkey44> Have you taken a car to the shop lately? Mechanics are not cheap whether working on diesel or gasoline engines. :)

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #12130 by stanbnv
Replied by stanbnv on topic fuel milage question
I don't know about MHs but my 2006 Ram 3500 CTD 6 speed manual gets @20 mpg empty and 11 mpg pulling my 32 foot Laredo, depending on my right foot. My old Ford F250 w/460 cid Gasser 5 speed manual, got 8.5 pulling and 11 empty. I hear that the 2007.5 and newer diesels do get less milage than the older ones. Price of diesel is a touchy subject for me. Here in NV, last spring when we came back fron Mexico it was an few cents less than regular gas per gallon, now it's 20 cents higher. The price in Mexico is about the same as their regular and is a bit less than US prices.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by stanbnv.

Time to create page: 0.358 seconds