Home?

More
16 years 11 months ago #957 by gpenrod
Home? was created by gpenrod
If one lives in a Motorhome/RV/Camper is it considered your home, with the same rights as a home on a foundation? It ain't much but it's all I got. Love my toyhauler/home with rhino utv inside. Happy hauling g penrod, Rollingstone Minnesota

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #985 by stnb4ever
Replied by stnb4ever on topic Re: Home?
that is a tricky situation. It really varies from state to state. The way I understand it is you must still claim a state for tax purposes. The R/V can be claimed as a home as far as writeoffs on taxes, etc. I really do not think I have answered your question, but I noticed you did not have a lot of answers yet so I figured I would at least let you know someone had seen your post :) Happy motoring, be safe ;D

More
16 years 11 months ago #987 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: Home?
g penrod,

The answer can be yes, your RV can be considered your IF you do some other things. You have to establish residency somewhere. This is for tax purposes, driver's license, RV insurance basis, vehicle tags, etc.

Most states are going to require a valid mailing address within that state and in most cases a PO Box is not enough. That is why there are so many mail forwarding services around. Also, many people have a site in either a member owned or membership RV Park. That park becomes your home address. Many fulltimers will have addresses in Texas, South Dakota, Florida and other states with easier tax laws. We have friends with these setups and very seldom set foot in their "state of residency".

Also, for those of us who still own a ground built, stick house but spend most of our time out in the RV we can still get breaks on both. My stick house is listed as primary residence. Property taxes and mortgage payments (if I had one) are tax deductible. On the RV the annual taxes (vehicle tag) and the loan payments are also deductible since it is considered a vacation home. (No where in the tax code does it say that a vacation home must be nailed to a piece of ground.)

Not sure I have adequately answered your question but hope this helps.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago #992 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Home?
We own property and a house in VA and we rent (yes, rent) it out. What we get for rent pays for our monthly RV Park rent, and the tennent keeps the utilities on and the lawn mowed (10 acres). In short he pays me to keep the place up. He has been there for two years and keeps the place in excellent condition. We claim South Dakota as our residence for tax purposes. No state income tax and when we purchased our 2002 Saturn it cost us $225.00 to pay the sales tax and license for one year. Can't beat that. We have family there that we use for an address, and we have SD drivers licenses, good for 6 years. There is a company that provides this for a decent fee, their web site is myhomeaddressinc.com/index.html
We stay on our property about 3 to 4 months a year as we have 2 kids in the area. We don't plan on selling it off, as when we are done traveling we will either ask our renters to move, or probably have a prefab house set on the property, and keep the rental.
I too have had renters in the past, and we have learned that if we keep the rent low and screen them (really ask for past references and check them out) you can rest somewhat decently.

Time to create page: 0.440 seconds