Re: nformation on Tow Vehicles

More
17 years 1 week ago #830 by skyking8
rvtraveler> I'm currently a Class A driver, but have had two 5W previously. Pulled with a Dodge 3500 and F450. Lotsa difference in the Dodge 2500 and 3500 trucks, but not much in the F350 and F450 except more payload and pulling capacity. I have a friend who pulls with a Silverado. Nice truck, but cost him a fortune.

Agree with FastEagle. No need for a 4 x 4 to pull an RV, long bed a must for bigger rig, dually will add stability, and quad cab goes without saying.

Suggest that you visit dealerships and pick up spec brochures on all bigger trucks. While you're looking at 5W you'll then have a method to eliminate which vehicles won't do the job.

One disadvantage of a big truck - you can't get it into a normal parking space at the mall even here in Texas where trucks are king. But then you'll get some good excercise walking from the back of the parking lot. :)
R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 6 days ago #848 by mkebikecop
I want to thank everyone for their information and help. I now have a better idea what I am looking for without the "honest" advice of a truck salesman.

"Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates."
-F.E. Adcock, British classical scholar

More
16 years 11 months ago #1097 by AdventPreacher
I am wondering if you have finalized your decision on a tow vehicle yet. My wife and I hauled FEMA trailers for about a year following the Katrina disaster in the Gulf Coast area. After a great deal of research, we purchased a new 2005 1 ton dually diesel (Dodge w/Cummins). We met and visited with a great many others who did the same thing, and learned a great deal about tow vehicles. We ended up pulling everything from 18' horse trailers to 40' Travel Supreme fifth wheels. Some of these rigs pressed 18000 lbs. We learned that different areas of the country have their brand favorites, but there are no more loyal customers than those who swear by the cummin's diesel. Fully 80% (actually, slightly more) of the tow vehicles purchased by the country's largest commerical RV transport company are the Dodge, with the cummins engine. Most report 20 mpg or better empty, and, once broken in, they will realize 14 or 15 towing. That is something that the powerstroke nor the duramax seemed to be able to do consistently. We live in Maine, so the 4 wheel drive option makes sense to us. We have hauled in Canada, and in the northern states in the wintertime. We very rarely were called on to engage the option, but the few times that we appealed to it, it got us out of potential trouble. The option will diminish your fuel mileage, but we think it is worth it. But then, not everyone is in our circumstance. We don't think that an extended cab is a given. Again, the new Dodge tow vehicles, whether 3/4 ton or 1 ton have more room behind the front seats than you might think. Check out the SLT Laramie option. The standard cab of the Ford, GM, or Dodge products have a shorter wheelbase, thus allowing the operator a smaller turning radius. That might come in handy in a tight spot backing into a "too small space" for your rig.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1180 by gdr46
I was wondering why you are changing from class a to 5th wheel. We are getting ready to go full time and are doing some research into which wat to go.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1214 by zanna
After posting the same question, I came upon your request for information on tow vehicles. I need something to pull a 5th wheel with a loaded weight of about 12.5K. I know I want 4WD since they have come in very handy in the past and I also want at least an extended cab as I travel with a large dog.

FastEagle and Dr Soucy's comments are very helpful. Other than test drives, I have no experience with diesels and I am a bit hesitant. That would also push my anticipated cost up since I'd prefer to purchase something with other than high mileage. How many miles can a person expect to get with the cummings? and What should one look for as signs the vehicle is sound? or What may indicate that there might be problems?

I'll check in with the dealers to get more info--although, purchasing a new vehicle is not my intent, that will surely give me opportunities to look at specifications and learn more. I truly value input to this forum as you speak from experience and are not just looking to make a buck.

I'd already been considering a Dodge 2500 gas, but sounds as if I'd be better off in the long run to spend the extra money to get a decent cummings diesel vs staying with gas.

Thanks again and I'm sorry I didn't read this posting before making a near duplicate :-[ .

Rosanne
[email protected]

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds