Looking for the best route

More
17 years 1 week ago #751 by milestogo
Some of you may have been at this a lot longer than us so we would greatly appreciate your thoughts-- We are looking for the best route to get from the Florida panhandle to south western Oregon. We have a 31' and tow a small vehicle. It is not necessary that there are military campgrounds along the way. We just want some ideas on a good route that won't have an excess of mountain passes, extremely large cities (L.A.), etc. It would be nice to see a few things along the way but travel time there and back is limited as we need time to spend with family once there. Which routes have you taken that you would recommend.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 week ago #752 by monkey44
For pure speed and ease of towing -- You'll get mountains in New Mexico and west but take I-10 into southern California, then take I-5 (very flat) north up the center of the state -- or take I-10 to CA State 395 east of the Sierra's and go north to I-80 (to I-5) for a more scenic route --- I-80 runs up over the mountains, but a straight shot and your done -- not terribly steep -- Route 395 is very scenic, not crowded but is a two lane highway -- some hills too. Less mountains on either one in California ... Historic Highway One along the west coast is scenic, coastal, very crowded, and lots of hills. Highway 395 has lots of great campgrounds along the way -- I-5 does not unless you trip off a ways up into the mountains to the east... takes time for that each day.

More
17 years 1 week ago #773 by FastEagle
Hi Milestogo,

I have gone as far as Reno, NV from St. Petersburg, FL once on a northern route. It was very easy and scenic. However, I have never pulled or driven a rig over Donna Pass. Been over a number of times in a car and there are some long pulls but I don't remember the degree of grades.

Coming out of St. Petersburg we took US-19 to US-84 out of Thomasville, GA to US-231 out of Dothan, AL to US-82 out of Montgomery, AL to US-45 out of Columbus, MS to US-78 out of Tupelo, MS to I-55 out of Memphis, to I-70 out of St. Louis, to I-29 out of Kansas City to NB-2 at exit 10 to I-80 out of Lincoln, NB to Reno, NV. It has been almost two years since we made that trip. At that time almost all of the non-interstate highways were four lanes and in very good condition. There are some very nice RV parks along the way and some of the best deals we found were not in any of the books. We were heavy on that trip (towing about 16K) and never got into any trouble with any of the grades. Hope this has reached you in time. Have a nice trip and good luck.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds