Retired vs. fuel cost ...

More
16 years 1 day ago #3223 by oldchief46
We also have had to be off the road for awhile, since last October. The family stuff is cleared up and we plan to head out June 2. We've laid out our path into August. We're going the longer stay route. Instead of three or four days in one place we are staying one to two weeks. That will cut down on the diesel we'll have to run through the coach. We will still do our normal sightseeing but it will be in the car making daily trips.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 17 hours ago #3225 by cheldreth
I retired from my teaching position last October and we planned to full-time on the road for a few years. We spent the winter in North and South Carolina at Fort Bragg, Onslow Beach and Charleston. While at Onslow, I applied and was accepted as the camp host for two years.

Onslow Beach is a great Marine Corps Recreation Center right on the Atlantic Ocean and we consider ourselves very fortunate to have this opportunity. The steep cost of fuel was causing us some concern.

The Onslow RV Park is going to be closed the month of June because the swinging bridge to the island is being closed for maintenance. Since we changed our domicile to Texas, we will be going there while the park is closed to complete our requirements (drivers licenses, vehicle inspections, voter registration, etc.). The fuel to take the Bounder to Texas and back will be at least $1200. This is a significant expense just for fuel for one month.

Over the next couple of years, we have other pensions coming online that will make full-timing more affordable so our detour to Onslow could not have come at a better time.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
15 years 11 months ago #3254 by utmtman
I found that some fam camps dont have mouthly or even weekly amounts only daily. So we spend a week to a month at rv parks because by doing so it is far cheaper than staying in some fam camps. With some parks you can get pay for 5 get one or two days free. And when you pay for a month its as low as 10-15 dollars. I am at a park in washington right now that is 290 a month, thats 9 dollars a month.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 11 months ago #3256 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Retired vs. fuel cost ...
Wow, $9.00 a month, that is cheap, what is the name???

More
15 years 11 months ago #3258 by monkey44
Me thinks utmtmn made a slight math error !!! :o IF he didn't -- tell me quick so I can beat everyone else.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3273 by utmtman
Me think I goobered. LOL its 9 dollars a day. I also workamp to help cover the cost of rving. But I do the volunteer thing at national parks. I was informed today that since I am volunteering at North Cascade National Park, that they will pay for my camp site. Dang that 290 a month I will get back somewhere along the line and I can bank it.

Time to create page: 0.457 seconds