Retired vs. fuel cost ...

More
15 years 11 months ago #3292 by FastEagle
I think if the same method was used to set the prices at the military campgrounds that is used to price fuel at military exchanges the campgrounds would have to close. Makes one wonder why people wait in line for fuel at the base exchanges when it's the same price just outside the gate.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3293 by monkey44
QUOTE: "Makes one wonder why people wait in line for fuel at the base exchanges when it's the same price just outside the gate."

Don't know about others, but two reasons I do it: I can use my AAFES card to buy gas, and at least SOME of the profit goes into base recreation and support instead of out of the country to some multi-national company... I know, I know, pretty much all the fuel originates from OOC corporations, but at least at the base station, SOME part of the delivery costs stays here on base, and it does employ retired or dependent attendents.

More
15 years 11 months ago #3294 by retiredarmy
Well, the high cost of traveling has done it to us. We have decided to lease a long-term site at a RV resort in Zephyrhills, FL. The cost is $2500 a year for the site. Then we pay for utilities, internet and cable. I figure a total of about $300 a month, give or take a few dollars. We plan on keeping the MH at the site and drive our car home periodically. We live about 400 miles. With the price of fuel going out of sight and the same with cg's, we figure to save quite a bit by just staying in one place. Sure wish we'd get a decent COLA. By the way, our car gets close to 40 mpg. Our MH get 8 mpg (it's a gasser). About MacDill AFB, we have heard some bad things about the place. Do any of you have first hand info about the base. Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.432 seconds