Flying J Fuel Discount

More
16 years 5 months ago #2195 by skyking8
Flying J and Visa are having a spat. For those who have the fuel discount card, if you use a Visa card to pay, Flying J is presently not giving the cash price discount when you use the RV fueling island. It is still available if you get fuel at the truck pumps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #2226 by oldchief46
The spat goes a lot deeper than that. Visa is not accepted at all at the truck island. Flying J post the "cash" price for diesel on their advertising sign at the street. The actual posted price at the pump was 5 cents higher. Visa has a problem with this was has insisted that the posted price be the same as what is on the pump. Because of this Flying J, effective 5/1/07, stopped accepting Visa at the truck pumps. (At that time this did not affect gasoline sales at the car or RV pumps.)

We try to use Flying J exclusively but do not usually use Visa. We always use Discover Card. We also have a Flying J RV Discount Card. By using the discount card we still get the cash discount ($.05) even though we charge it to Discover. We actually get 6 cents off since the Flying J RV Card gives us 1 cent. By using our Discover Card not only do we get the 6 cent discount at the station we also get our regular rebate from Discover, which currently is 5% on fuel purchases.

We almost never use the RV Pumps at Flying J. I like the faster pumping speed at the truck pumps. The only problem is if you try to use the pay at the pump feature you need an ICC number. Due to this we have to go inside to get the pump turned on. When I pull in I check the pump number and then have my wife go in to get it started. She takes the walkie-talkie and calls me when it is ready. When I'm done pumping I call her back to pay out and I then pull my rig forward to allow the truck waiting behind me to get into place.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 5 months ago #2233 by skyking8
Replied by skyking8 on topic Re: Flying J Fuel Discount
Oldchief> I just wrapped up a trip from VA to TX and used Flying J in several states. I did not need an ICC number to activate the pumps. When prompted for truck and hub numbers, I just entered 123.

I don't care for the RV pumps for several reasons. It's a tight fit for longer rigs and they exit into the auto parking area. It's also annoying when you have to wait behind another RVer who doesn't immediately pull forward after refueling like the truckers do. And lately, I've been seeing way too many pick-up trucks and small commercial vans using the pumps which adds to the wait.

More
16 years 4 months ago #2285 by utmtman
Replied by utmtman on topic Re: Flying J Fuel Discount
If you ever go to the Flying J at Winslow, Az you could run into nightmares when trying to get fuel or propane since they are both in the rv lane and there is only one lane. I went thru there and it was a long line for fuel than if one wants propane too they have to turn around and come back thru from the opposite direction and if there is a line you cannot get propane. Who ever created or designed that system was all messed up.

More
16 years 4 months ago #2286 by oldchief46

If you ever go to the Flying J at Winslow, Az you could run into nightmares when trying to get fuel or propane since they are both in the rv lane and there is only one lane. I went thru there and it was a long line for fuel than if one wants propane too they have to turn around and come back thru from the opposite direction and if there is a line you cannot get propane. Who ever created or designed that system was all messed up.

I've been to that Flying J. You're right, it is a bad setup. My experience is the propane setup is bad at almost all Flying J's. My first two coaches had the propane tank on the passenger side. This one is on the driver's side. Depending on which side of the Flying J the RV punps are located determines if I can pull straight in or have to circle around and come in the opposite direction. Most of them I've been to have the propane set up to fill from the passenger side if you pull straight in. It can be a real PITA. If I need diesel only I go to the truck islands.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Time to create page: 0.399 seconds