Limited military rv sites for large rv?

More
17 years 3 months ago #182 by atkinson77
We are making plans to full-time in the next year or two and are currently shopping for unit to call home. Since we want to take our motorcycle with us, we are looking a nicer toyhaulers, many of which are quite long. The one we want to purchase is 41' (actual length is 43' 9"). Will we have difficulty finding military campgrounds that will accept our size of unit? Thanks for any help you can provide us. Tom and Pam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 3 months ago #183 by fiatspider79
From my experience, military campgrounds pretty much reflect campgrounds in general. Some have facilities for big rigs, some don't.

Generally, anything over 35' will require some extra searching to find a compatible site anywhere--military or civil. When you make informed choices they all come with their own problems, you just plan around them if that is what you really want to do.

See ya down the road,
Glenn

More
17 years 3 months ago #184 by Joel
Hi Tom & Pam
We are not full-timers yet however we have been to several military campgrounds, State Parks, Civilian Campgrounds and Boondocking on occasion. We pull a 38' 5ver with a quad cab Dodge dully and all strecthed out we are about 56' long. It's not very often that we can remain hooked up even on an overnighter when we are traveling. Thats when Wal-mart comes in handy. :) It has been my observation that most locations are set up for 35' to 45' more or less. FastEagle along with some others have posted some comments on this subject under "Just make sure it fits" on this same bulliten board. I also suggest over stating your length when asking if they have a spot for you. By the way, what do you ride? We ride HD! 8)

More
17 years 3 months ago #186 by atkinson77
Thanks for the input....sounds like the general consensus so far is that anything over 35' will be a challenge anyway so why not a few more feet? :) As far as the bike....we aren't part of the HD crowd yet, but everyone tells us it's just a matter of time....we ride a much more modest V-Star which we love. Although not in the Harley class, it's a nice ride, nevertheless!

More
17 years 3 months ago #190 by Joel
Tom,
I agree with Glenn, do what you really want to do and plan around it. I have always beleived in having what you want even if it means waiting a little longer... RV, car, bike, (including HD) and WIFE! :o
I also beleive that if you like to ride... any two wheels are better than no wheels. ;D
We ride for Lee & the Southland!!! 8) Ride safe - die old is my motto.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #789 by windmillduke
Caught this way late in the cycle, so you may not get this in time for a contrary view. We have a 37' fiver plus 24 feet in our big rig Freightliner. We've had no unfixable problem in any or our 15 or so military sites. Sometime have to unhook, sometimes can stay hooked. So far, all famcamps have been built to fit us all in, maybe with a foot of overlap on the pad. We have had to locate in larger sites on occasion, so if it's a crowded season, the big sites may be taken. I'd go for the size that fits you, not the site. We're fulltiming so, our Teton is already getting small enough to have her "shopping" in our chats for the 44 footer. After that event we'll "shop" for adequate sites ahead of time.

Time to create page: 0.533 seconds