PROS AND CONS TO RV PROPERTY ???

More
8 years 4 months ago #14122 by JCSme2008
So, I am 21 years active duty, and decided to push another 6 years. Meanwhile, I must plan for retirement, because it is inevitable and will happen.

It took about 6 years of research before I made my RV purchase earlier this year. The research and help I got from all the inputs, helped land me a decent RV for what we need (winning).

Now I need more help. I did not know that there was such a thing as RV Property. We own a house in Tennessee, and haven't decided to rent or sell it, but we are definitely all in for full-time RV'ing.

What are the PROs and CONs to buying RV Property ??? We are looking at locations in Florida to live and do our north traveling in the spring and summer months to visit family, kids, grand-kids, etc. etc.

2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #14123 by johnandmari
The wife and I purchased our MH in 2003, and full-timed for five years before tiring of the constant travel and all that went with it – we did not sell our home, so we had an out. Since then we have traveled at our whim, sometimes for most of the year, sometime for only a few months, one year not at all. Even though we have owned motorhomes (three) since 1991, our decision to not sell the house was a hedge on the knowledge that maybe, just maybe, we might tire of the life. Is your home paid for (ours was), because if it is not, can you afford the RV lifestyle AND the house payments (plus all the other associated costs of home ownership – insurance, utilities, taxes, etc.)? That home could, potentially become a millstone around your necks!

Next subject – RV property; we own an RV park lot in Arizona, which we just purchased last season. Lot ownership comes with a price (no pun intended), because once you buy the lot, regardless of whatever the purchase price you pay, you can not afford to just let it set unoccupied. Most parks (ours included) have monthly/quarterly costs associated with lot ownership. Additionally, some parks (ours included) require certain improvements be made – for example, landscaping is typically mandated within a specific time frame. Yes, you can rent the lot out while not in use, but the park management at some locations will impose a commission if you rent the lot, thus reducing your income. The biggest con will be, once purchased, you may feel obligated to return year after year, thus negating the reason for your RV purchase – TRAVEL! BTW, you will need to have a year-round insurance policy on the lot, with some required minimum liability level – more money!

The RV lifestyle is, in our opinion, second to none, but it does require one to make almost constant reassessments of how to make the most of it.

Just my two cents – please take it for what it’s worth. Good luck on your decision!

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: JCSme2008

More
8 years 4 months ago #14124 by JCSme2008
Wow, all good information. Thank You.

After reading your post and researching some more. I guess a better options would be to keep our house in Tennessee, extend the driveway to wrap around the back of our house with a slab/platform, and then just rent RV property where and when we want (didn't know you can rent property until today).

This way we have the best of both worlds.

2005 FLEETWOOD DISCOVERY 38U

Time to create page: 0.429 seconds