Recommendations for Truck to Pull 5th Wheel

More
16 years 10 months ago #1213 by zanna
this is my 3rd attempt to make my first post on a forum--Hopefully I am in the right place, it will work and is not a repeat.

I just bought a 33' Avion 5th wheel and need a truck to pull it. It weighs under 10K dry and should be around 12.5K loaded. What questions should I be asking? What experiences/recommendations can anyone provide me? What's the deal with axle ratios?

Background: USAF ret, somewhat mechanically and technically challenged female, currently living in Minnesota. Anticipate snowbirding and/or visiting my son in college. Am selling my Dodge 1500 and 27' UltraLite Prowler. Have never driven a diesel. Liked the Dodge and also Chevys. Anticipate slow and easy driving to my destination, staying for a bit, then returning to home base in Minnesota.

I welcome your experiences and opinions, as well as other web sites I can use in my search for a vehicle.

Thanks,

Rosanne
[email protected]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #1217 by cdrcos
I would suggest you get a 1-ton (Ram 3500, F-350, etc.), diesel, single rear wheel (SRW) truck.

That may be slightly more truck than you need, but I have found the difference in price between the 3/4 ton and 1-ton trucks is less than $1,000. and you have a margin for hill-climbing, headwinds, or trading to a bigger RV down the line. I am partial to the Ford, but I'm sure there is not a great deal of difference between it and the GMC and Dodge. The regular axle ratio: 3.73 or something like that should be fine for your needs. The lower ratio gears: 4.x something are for more starting power when taking off with a heavy load.

Diesel engines are more expensive than the big gas engines, but last longer and have greater pulling power and torque.

Feel free to email if you have questions: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Good to hear from a fellow Minnesotan, good luck and welcome!

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago #1221 by a Guest
I was talking to a man at Nellis AFB last year who was bragging that his Dodge with the Commings Turbo Diesel and the Allison transmission had over 750,000 miles on it (he pulled a 5th wheel about 35 ft). He said he does the oil changes and other maintenance on it religously, and said he has not had a single problem. (I also have the same engine and transmission in my motorhome, and I only have abot 68,000 miles on it, but also no problems). I have talked to a couple people who had the Dodge gas enging and transmission and they both had transmission problems.
Frank

More
16 years 10 months ago #1228 by AdventPreacher
Hey, Roseanne;

My wife and I responded to the call to pull FEMA trailers following the Katrina disaster down in the central gulf states. We stayed for the company pulling any number and kinds of other trailers for about a year. We discovered that, by far and away, the dodge 1-ton dually with the cummins turbo diesel was the most popular unit to pull trailers. That was true not only for the company that we worked for, but for the industry (rv transportation) as a whole. Any brand truck might produce a lemon, but with that exception, the truck-for-the-dollar is the dodge as well. Compare apples to apples in the different major brands, and the dodge can be had for a little bit (admittedly not much) less. The dodge does compare favorably in fuel mileage, maintenance costs per mile, room inside the cab, and the staying-power of the diesel engine. The diesel was revamped in '06. The GM product has included the allison transmission as an option and you can't do better than that. The dodge has the worst reputation for the ride when not under load. If you get a dually, in any brand, you are going to pay more for tolls, and it might be more difficult to park in tight spots. plan to stay out of parking garages. None of the diesel engines will perform to their peak until they are broken in, somewhere following 30000 miles. A GM product will turn in tight places better than the dodge. They all have a similar length and quality of warranty. The GM product can come with XM radio, and the dodge with a Sirius radio from the factory. I don't know about the Ford. Most folks have their preferences and are fans of a specific brand. So you might well get different answers from different people who have had different experiences, good or bad, with each. They are all expensive. Consider a low-mileage, well kept diesel and you may save quite a bundle. Check out Trailer Life's annual comparison magazine where they pit each against the other and provide a fair report on their findings. Consumer Reports has done the same thing. Talk to a local mechanic who is familiar with trucks and ask them to explain to you the why's and wherefore's of the "rear-end gear ratio". That will help you to make an informed decision and know what to look for on a window sticker. Unless you are a skilled mechanic with your own set of tools, you might want to recognize the value of the warrantee that is left on a lightly used truck. See if it comes with roadside assistance. The GM product can come with onstar, that might come in very handy if you find yourself in trouble while boondocking, (or in a wal-mart parking lot!) If you are a female travelling alone, there might be a moment when that feature could be worth its weight in gold! No matter how many questions you ask, you'll think of dozens more that you should have asked after you have owned your choice for a while. It is possible to by too little truck, and you might sometime be sorry you did. A one ton dually w/diesel engine will handle almost any trailer (5er or tt) that you want to pull. Good luck to you!

Time to create page: 0.463 seconds