Compressed Air Is Expensive

More
16 years 10 months ago #1160 by fiatspider79
my next motorcoach is going to be a hovercraft.

Within the last 10 months I have purchased 7 tires for my 10-tire combo motorhome and toad and I need four more right now.

I have found that the hardest thing to find on the road is compressed air for tires that take 100 psi or more. Most places you stop (even FlyingJ) either has a pump that gives you up to 50 psi or has removed their high-pressure hoses. The truck stops also are cutting back on the availability of air since most over the road truckers use their on-board air to fill their tires.

My on board air only gives me about 55 psi at the end of the hose so I purchased a 135 psi, 12 volt, 1 gal compressor but it only gives me about 95 psi at the end. I need 100 and 110.

I try hard to keep my tires properly aired but if really has been difficult. I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone could pass on that might help.

Glenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago #1162 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Compressed Air Is Expensive
Have you considered using the compressed gas system? It may be the answere you have been searching for. Check out this web site www.powertank.com/category.rv

More
16 years 10 months ago #1168 by oldchief46
Glenn,

I carry a compressor I got at Home Depot. It has a three gallon tank and will go up to 120 psi. I originally bought it when I was driving a gas rig and did not have the on board air. Even though I now have a diesel with air I have not purchased the necessary hose to use the on board air to fill my tires. Since I had room for the compressor I just keep using it.

I'm curious as to why you have needed so many tires. I replaced the tires on our used Georgie Boy a year or so after I bought since the tires on it were six years old. In October I traded off our 2001 Monaco LaPalma that still had the original tires. (They were six years old and I would have replaced them had we not traded coaches.) The tire people (Goodyear) at the rallies pretty much recommend replacing tires at the six to seven year mark.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 10 months ago #1175 by fiatspider79
discount Tire in Lake Havasu City AZ put four tires on the rear of my coach and a week later I was back because two of them wouldn't hold air. Despite their promises they never did make it right and one of the inside tires under inflated and blew on the road. I had to have it replaced and had a devil of a time getting them to honor the guarantee that I purchased. By then I was in Florida.

My problems are mostly due to under inflation. I try my best to keep them at the recommended level but on the road it is so hard to find air that I end up relying on my on-board compressor which means, at best, 95 psi. I can't find a chain that will actually do what they promise. My coach is 15 years old and I need to do some work on the wheels. I have just not been able to find a tire merchant worthy of continued business. Certainly Discount Tire goes on my list of liars and crooks along with the technical support people at Verizon.

Glenn

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago #1178 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Compressed Air Is Expensive
discount Tire.
I have been doing business with discount tires for over ten years closer to 15, and never had any type of problem. They have always taken good care of me, even when they were not their tires. I have used San Diego and Las Vegas dealers plus some others on the road. However all my issues have been with car tires, not the RV. I used Les Swabb in Oregon and they did a fine job for fixing a flat on the outside dual. Very professional, and they charged me $15.00 for the fix. They spent a good 30 minutes on it and patched the nail hole from inside the tire, the correct way.
Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Frank

More
16 years 10 months ago #1179 by fiatspider79
les Swabb in Utah was great. I would go back to them any time I need help. Unfortunately I am a dennison of the east coast and they are in the west. Discount Tire in Florida started our conversation with "we don't handle them here." Them being RVs. Their TV ads show an old lady throwing a tire through their window with the comment that you can return any tire you are not satisfied with. Yes, but only if you fill out a dozen forms, show a receipt for everything and wait two weeks to get the payment from the regional office.

Glenn

Time to create page: 0.439 seconds