"Support the Troops"

More
16 years 11 months ago #1032 by Mustang03
Want to have an interesting time? Ask someone with one of those yellow ribbons on their vehicle reading "support the troops" in just what way they 'support' the troops other than sticking that sticker on their vehicle?

You can get an interesting range of responses ranging from 'voting Republican/Democrat/etc' to regular donations to any of the various veterans groups, to knitting socks 'for the boys'. But, be prepared. Folks who do absolutely nothing other than apply these stickers can get pretty hostile if cornered into admiting it. Bumper sticker patriots do not, evidently, like exposure.

B.N. Lavender
Capt. (LDO) USMC (Ret.)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 11 months ago #1038 by fiatspider79
Captain

I REFUSE to stick a magnetic ribbon to my vehicle with "I Support The Troops" on it. My life is dedicated to supporting the troops and I let people know my feelings with what I do, how often I do it and with how much emphasis I add.

For example, when I pass a flagpole with a worn, torn or tattered flag flying from it I stop, knock on the door or step in front of the receptionists desk and ask them to take down my flag and retire it. If they can't display my flag properly they shouldn't display anything. I have been kicked out of buildings and houses, sworn at and spat upon by "patriots" with magnetic ribbons on their cars. I drive away fully knowing which one of us is "supporting the troops".

Glenn

More
16 years 11 months ago #1041 by oldchief46
Way to go Glenn.

I have the US Flag flying from a poll in front of my house 24/7, lighted of course. I'm always concerned when we are gone in the RV for extended periods, which is usually from anywhere from one to three months at a time.

I have a great teenage kid living next door. He mows my lawn for a really good price and takes care of the pool in the summer when we are gone. I leave a couple of new flags with him. If he sees the flag on the pole is getting a bit tattered he changes it out for us. Sure going to miss him when he goes off to college the fall.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 11 months ago #1044 by Chancellor
I do what I can, I fly my Flag lighted 24/7 vollenteer at the VA hospital in Buffalo and
have give several speeches at the local high school but I know and remember what it was like and wish I could do more for them.

More
16 years 11 months ago #1048 by Mustang03
Glenn,
Yeah, tattered flags are a hot button with me as well. I was taught proper flag care waaaay back in the Boy Scouts, but I guess a lot of folks skipped that part of their education.

By-the-way everyone, did NOT mean to imply members of this forum are the bumper-sticker type I was making reference to, because nobody eligible to use a military campground need prove their patriotism to me or anyone else!

Semper Fi,
Bryan

B.N. Lavender
Capt. (LDO) USMC (Ret.)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Time to create page: 0.429 seconds