Should I drop other health coverage

More
8 years 7 months ago #13978 by CapeCodBob
We are both on Medicare but in good health and not on any meds. 69 and 65 yo.
OHC is from civilian employment that was a free benny until I retired from them and then I had to pay but was much lower cost at first.

OHC is supposed to be secondary but the way the system works is Medicare automatically balance bills Tricare so don't often us OHC.

OHC is now up to $407/mo.

I am concerned about longterm care in the future . Should I keep OHC just for that ?

Is anyone else in this situation ?

BUY AMERICAN KEEP AMERICANS WORKING

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #13980 by Hank85713
Tricare for life is the 2dary for mediscare and I have not been billed for anything yet, neither has the wife. But again neither of us has had to use it for other than normal care and follow up. I used to carry a tricare supplement but it went away when I went on mediscare. what about bho's care if ya really want to carry something?

I am eligible for VA but only use it for routine stuff annually. I have had surgerys with the VA but we have a good one to deal with not like the ones that are always in the news.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #13981 by floridakamper

CapeCodBob wrote: OHC is now up to $407/mo.

I am concerned about longterm care in the future . Should I keep OHC just for that ?

Neither Medicare or TRICARE 4 Life cover "Long Term Care." IE, nursing home or assisted living. When you're broke Medicaid might help if it's still around. If you're OHI covers long term care then it is a personal decision and if that $400 a month is breaking the budget. For medically necessary care, you're golden with MEDICARE and TRICARE 4 Life. Most military health benefits advisors I think would tell you the OHI is an unnecessary expense in your case.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by floridakamper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stanbnv

More
8 years 7 months ago #13983 by cdrcos

CapeCodBob wrote: OHC is now up to $407/mo.

I am concerned about long term care in the future . Should I keep OHC just for that ?

I would double check whether your OHC covers "long term care" (assisted living, memory care,etc.), I have not seen any that do... If yours does cover that (also check how much and how long), it may be worth keeping. Check out the cost for long term care insurance at your age and I would guess it would be more than $407/mo - is that cost for both of you?

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida

More
8 years 6 months ago #14010 by dubob

CapeCodBob wrote: We are both on Medicare but in good health and not on any meds. 69 and 65 yo.
OHC is from civilian employment that was a free benny until I retired from them and then I had to pay but was much lower cost at first.

OHC is supposed to be secondary but the way the system works is Medicare automatically balance bills Tricare so don't often us OHC.

OHC is now up to $407/mo.

My bride and I are both retired civil service and I'm retired military. We both suspended (not cancelled) our civil service medical at age 65 when we went under Tricare for life and Medicare. We also both purchased the government offered LTC policies at age 60 (her) and age 62 (me). The LTC coverage costs us less than $100/month. I have had 4 major surgeries over the last 3 years (all orthopedic) and the cost for all of them has been $0.00. I can't remember the last time I had to pay a deductible. For us, the TFL + Medicare has taken care of all of our medical costs perfectly. I would suggest you cancel the OHC coverage you currently have and find individual LTC policies that cover just LTC. I would be very surprised if they weren't substantially cheaper than your current OHC.

Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich

More
8 years 6 months ago #14012 by monkey44
At age 71+ , I've been under Medicare and TFL since age 65 - I've had several surgeries, and numerous doctor visits and never once have I paid above the Medicare and TFL coverage. Do pay the mailout fee for the EX-scripts pharmacy, as per the agreement ... but that's the only expense I've paid in almost seven years.

I have no idea what LTC policy is for -- or what it does, and why one needs it -- opps, just hit me Long Term Care - so if you would explain that one, and where you get it, that will be great to look into - just in case :) Thx

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds