Which Tricare goes with Medicare?

• Kokomo36
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Roger & Bonnie 2014 Phaeton 40QBH & Jeep Liberty
More
10 years 1 month ago #12765 by Kokomo36
We are fulltime RV'ers / travelers and, since we retired in 2004, have used the health insurance provided by our private employer (even though I am eligible for Tricare). This allows us to use most any doctor, in any area, without any prior approval.

In the near future, I will be 65 and going into Medicare. In general, over a beer discussions with other military retirees, many have found the combination of Medicare and Tricare to be no problem for the fulltime traveler.

To those in that category; your opinion?

What plan should I consider if I switch to Tricare when entering Medicare. At what cost?

I am generally healthy and assume that my regular doctors will take Medicare as my primary insurance and no changes will be required on that end. It's the unforeseen that has me concerned.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #12766 by floridakamper
When you turn 65 and go on MEDICARE you'll be bullet proof as far as medical insurance. You probably don't have to do anything except make sure you sign up for MEDICARE part B. Medicare will be primary and TRICARE 4 Life will be the secondary payer. You go to any doc that takes MEDICARE. MEDICARE pays their share and then forwards the claim to TRICARE 4 Life. You will ALMOST never have a cost share or co-pay. You have great insurance that you've earned and as long as the pols don't change it...... you're golden. Even though things are supposed to happen automatically, you should check with MEDICARE and make sure they know you have TRICARE 4 Life and no other health insurance (OHI). Also contact TRICARE 4 Life and make sure they know you have no OHI other than MEDICARE. In my opinion, you should drop any employer provided health insurance just before going on MEDICARE unless they provide it to retirees at no cost. JMHO Bob Hines
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kokomo36

More
10 years 1 month ago #12768 by norstrebor
I'm retired military and also retired from federal civil service. When I retired from federal civil service I kept my federal bcbs. So in 5 months I will be going on MEDICARE and I will ensure that I get part B to maintain my TRICARE. I was so unsure of what this thing in the white house has done with medical insurance I thought it would be best to keep it all. My wife will not be 65 for an addition year so my questions would be should I keep it all until she in turn is 65 and goies on MEDICARE herself? Any ideas about that?

• Kokomo36
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Roger & Bonnie 2014 Phaeton 40QBH & Jeep Liberty
More
10 years 1 month ago #12769 by Kokomo36
To: Norstrebor: We are in a similar position. My wife won't be 65 for awhile. She will stay with the private insurance while I test the old-timer waters.

To: Floridakamper: Thanks for the explanation! Sounds like a plan!

More
10 years 1 month ago #12770 by floridakamper

norstrebor wrote: My wife will not be 65 for an addition year so my questions would be should I keep it all until she in turn is 65 and she goes on MEDICARE herself? Any ideas about that?

I'm also retired civil service, so here goes the advice. Double check anything I tell you because a mistake can be costly...... You need to make sure the spouse has adequate insurance. If she does not have anything except TRICARE, keep a federal employee plan until she turns 65 and also goes on TRICARE 4 Life. When she does, you can cancel the fed plan or suspend it. Suspending it is the smartest thing to do in case there are changes in military/medicare insurance that are not favorable to us. If that comes to pass, you can reinstate the federal employee plan if it has been suspended. If cancelled, you're done. OPM has a form to suspend the plan and you qualify because having TRICARE 4 Life is a qualifying life event.

More
10 years 1 month ago #12785 by dubob
Exactly what FK said. DO NOT CANCEL YOUR FEDERAL INSURANCE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES; JUST SUSPEND IT. If you have a Federal family plan then you may want to keep that until your wife turns 65 before you SUSPEND it. If your wife is NOT covered under your Federal plan but has her own plan, then you should SUSPEND your plan when you turn 65.

Another option to cover your wife if you SUSPEND your Federal coverage when you turn 65 is one of the 3 regular Tricare programs that covers all military and their spouses up to age 65. You would have to weigh the cost of Tricare against your Federal package. It might be cost effective to compare them for overall costs; monthly fees + co-pays + Rx costs, etc.

Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich

Time to create page: 0.384 seconds