FAMCAMP- PATRICK AFB

• a Guest
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 10 months ago #6144 by a Guest
FAMCAMP- PATRICK AFB was created by a Guest
To avoid being redundant; for those who stay here in the winter you might want to read the review I wrote yesterday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #6777 by macdoc2123
Replied by macdoc2123 on topic Re:FAMCAMP- PATRICK AFB
Call ahead, and be very specific in your requests/needs!
We had a VERY upsetting experience with this campground! We called ahead (three weeks), asked specific questions about our site needs, AND specified that we were a host-family for a foriegn echasnge student. We were told to come ahead, that there were no problems, and we would have a great time!

On the appointed Friday, my family and I drove 10 hours through the night, to get to Patrick AFB. We arrived only to be denied entry to the Base and camp site! It seems we were not informed of the locally-required forms which would allow a non-U.S. citizen entry to the Base. When I said it would be no problem to fill out the required forms, I was then informed that there was no way they could be processed, on a weekend!! Welcome to Florida, the USAF way!!!

Not being some high-level retired officer, and a family man to boot, budget ruled this family vacation. Having to rely on a different Camp Ground (more costly) was a serious inconvenience, not to mention being forced to drive around looking for an alternative, asfter driving through the night!

We did adapt and overcome, thanks to Marine training, however, they sure didn't do anything to further A.F. reputation...... :blink:

More
14 years 5 months ago #6779 by morscuba
Replied by morscuba on topic Re:FAMCAMP- PATRICK AFB
Instead of blaming the AF,, why not look to blaming the individual who gave you the information.. I guess the Navy doesn't have the same problem. I thought that Marine traning also included a "no whine coarse"

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 5 months ago #6788 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re:FAMCAMP- PATRICK AFB
I find it hard to believe that Patrick said "no problems". This time of year they are usually full and only have dry camping available until you rotate into hookups.
The last time I was there they (the gate security) only checked for ID's of the Driver and even if they wanted ID's of any others a picture ID is all they want. I don't understand the difficulty with the exchange student.
Maybe you should have checked with the base security concerning the issue of bringing an exchange student aboard the base, not the RV park manager.
Not sure what kind of rig you have, but Florida has a lot of state parks that accept RV'S. We have stayed in one, and the rates are decent and they had very well maintained faciliy.
Frank

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 years 5 months ago #6878 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re:FAMCAMP- PATRICK AFB
Re problems at Patrick Fam Camp. I called ahead several days before the Space Shuttle, asked questions and also assured no problem. Drove myself, from VA and arrived in evening. I couldn't locate my ID card, had base stickers on both vehicles and DD14 in my RV. Made it thro the the Security gate without problems, until I met the camp host/work camper. Unable to provide ID,I was instructed to go to Walmart, at night and several miles in an unknown town. By now,I was tired, upset and exhausted, a danger to others on the road. I refused to leave, they called the same security that allowed me onboard. Then they informed me that my cat was now a third pet, even tho he is an inside cat and I would again have to leave. The camp hosts was unable to make independent decisions. Needless to say, I didn't, found my ID in the car, and persued a stay until the shuttle went up and I left immediately. It depends on who you talk to and how much they know or how they feel at the time. There should always be a senior camp host available at least by phone.

More
14 years 5 months ago #6879 by morscuba
Replied by morscuba on topic Re:FAMCAMP- PATRICK AFB
Honestly I am amazed you made it through the gate without going through Pass and ID to obtain a temp pass. I don't think I've been on a base or post that would even let you on without either or your ID or a temp pass. Camp host was only doing his job. You gotta remember that camp host are retired G.I.'s and a lot take the mind set "here's what it says and here's what I do". I had a similar experience in Key West after being given permission to return after Hurricane Wilma. Could have been easily solved by the Master Chief ret.CH but it was beyond his comprehension to make a decision and to wait until the RV park director returned from a Dr' Appoint 2 days later.

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds