Heard Key West not taking DOD?

More
17 years 1 week ago #756 by fiatspider79
Ken

While I was performing additional duties such as brig chaser, duty NCO or military funeral services you were sitting at home drinking a beer and spending time with your family.

When I was TDY in some God-forsaken corner of the world missing my anniversary for the third time, you were getting a step promotion.

When my week ends were counted in my leave time you were taking your vacations only on week days.

When my family was living on starvation wages your family was getting the benefit of your inflated income and not even paying all of the taxes that I was paying.

When I was being transferred every two years or less you were in the same job year after year, not having to put up with the kids leaving school in the middle of the year and the wife needing to find another job.

You're damned right I am mad that you now are authorized the same bennies that I earned with 20 years of MILITARY service. I earned it--you didn't.

Hope that doesn't make you mad.

Glenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 week ago #758 by mkebikecop
Glenn,
You couldn't have said any better than that!

"Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates."
-F.E. Adcock, British classical scholar

More
16 years 10 months ago #1172 by oldchief46
Although I agree with Glenn, back to the original subject.

We were at Sigbee in Key West in February. Some friends of ours, retired DOD civilians, were down there two weeks before us. While their they were informed that the new base CO had ordered that DOD civilians would no longer be allowed. Our friends were allowed to stay out their week.

When we arrived a retired DOD civilian was trying to check in ahead of us. He was not happy at being turned away after driving the length of the Keys to get there.

We had no problem getting in and were directed to a nice dry camping spot, right on the Gulf. We were told it would take being there about two to three week at dry camping to be able to move to full hooks. Full hooks were also limited to two weeks maximum. After that you either had to move back to dry camping or leave.

There were plenty of spots for dry camping. I would doubt anyone eligible to stay there would ever be turned away.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 10 months ago #1278 by OurVee
>:(Got timed out after a reply-lets try again).

While there in April(3-12)2007, the only DOD we saw were in the Sunset Lounge. They all had ID's on and visible. I guess as a general rule, you need to call before you show up to any CG just to make sure what regs are in place.

As we checked in, the host said we would need to go to the Sigbee overflow for a day. Between labor Day and Easter the place if full to the rafters. She noticed the disabled placard and put us into the main camp area with fhu. We never ask for handicap spots as long as the sites are level and near to the bath and laundry. It seems they stick to the rotation thing very closely. While there, a lot of the seasonals were leaving, and even with a few open spaces, they moved a couple from across the way into Sigbee overflow. They checked someone into their old spot, and the next day, they were 3 spots down. Everyone we spoke to said the system works fairly and the host said to her knowlege, no one has ever been turned away. Worst case being you get sent to Trumbo and put on the list, but it rotates quick enopugh and nobody was griping. The only downside to this CG was the "homeless camp" of tenters in the main fhu area along the mangroves, near the dog walk. These folks, while friendly enough had obviously been there a real long time. Veggie and assorted gardens, trash filling the mangroves(visible from the dog walk), and some of the vehicles looked as if they hadn't moved in quite a while. Not in a position to judge another man's chosen lifestyle, but if we had any of the nieces or nephews with us, we would have asked to move. I guess they have enough tent sites available that these folks are not limited by any time constraint. Sad really, it was quite an eye-sore in an otherwise really nice CG.

Time to create page: 0.447 seconds