Heard Key West not taking DOD?

More
17 years 2 months ago #248 by karylkoch
I understand because of the long waits, that the Famcamp are not taking DOD civilians, at Key West. I think this is a great idea, and should be considered at other bases. Civilians who have not served in the military, have many more advantages than the military, so I don't understand why they would get extra privileges. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #252 by cheldreth
I read that also on the Yahoo Military Camping Group. I believe Michelle from the Sigsbee Campground actually posted it to that group.

I kind of think that this is a good idea because of the growing popularity of military campgrounds. If they would just not allow people living for excessive lengths of time at the FAMCAMPS, it would be a good thing also.

There needs to be a way to separate the people who are in the camps as recreational campers from the homesteaders.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
17 years 2 months ago #256 by fiatspider79
We're planning our first trip to Key West late next month and I have heard about the waiting lists and everything. Was wondering what you do if there is no room at the inn? I can't imagine there are Wal-Marts of FlyingJs to move to, do you have to drive back to the mainland?
Glenn

More
17 years 2 months ago #258 by cheldreth
Glenn:

I have never been there but I understand that they have enough over flow to accomodate any eligible camper at Trombo. If you look at the Google Maps that Larry links every campground info on the hybrid mode, you will be able to actually see the RVs both Sigsbee and Trombo.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
17 years 2 months ago #267 by mpbird
IF there is no room in the Inn you would need to drive back to the mainland - BUT - no one here remembers anyone ever being turned away. May it's happened......

If you're coming down the end of March I would imagine you'll be good. The 'early birds' are starting to gravitate north by then. Finally I'd just give them a call the day you left to inquire.

Good Luck

We're planning our first trip to Key West late next month and I have heard about the waiting lists and everything. Was wondering what you do if there is no room at the inn? I can't imagine there are Wal-Marts of FlyingJs to move to, do you have to drive back to the mainland?
Glenn

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 1 week ago #755 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: Heard Key West not taking DOD?
Karylkoch: Not all of us civ. were smart enought to stay in the military, or like me, had other reasons after six years to get out. Now after thirty five years of DOD service I feel I can use some of the military benies I missed out on. I don't have exchange or commessary priv's. But do use the CG's and golf courses. Hope this doesn't make you to mad.

KenB.

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds