NWS Charleston

• a Guest
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #2043 by a Guest
NWS Charleston was created by a Guest
Just read the review by "aa00874". I am confused, NWS does not accept reservations according to the last time I talked to them in September 2007, however it says in the review that they had to move due to reservations? Today is Sunday, I called NWS and they are closed till Monday so I could not verify. We are going there tomorrow 11/22, and I will try to find out the latest info on this.
In the meantime, has anyone heard differently about the reservations? We want to stay a week in the area and when I talked to them in September they said there should not be any problem as they have plenty of room.
Again if this is so, then why did "aa00874" have problems???
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #2044 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Re: NWS Charleston
They recently set aside 10 sites for reservations. This is becoming a very popular campground and quite full. Right now I believe there are 3 sites available.

More
16 years 6 months ago #2048 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: NWS Charleston

They recently set aside 10 sites for reservations. This is becoming a very popular campground and quite full. Right now I believe there are 3 sites available.

This must be a really new policy. We stayed there last month and they did not take reservations for the campground. Although their website gives a number for reservations they are for the "cottages", which are some former base housing units directly in front of the campground. This is a pretty good size campground but is becoming very popular. They do have some overflow sites.

The office is not in the campground proper. It is located in the base ITT office, several blocks away from the campground. There is an onsite host but he cannot check you in.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

• a Guest
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #2049 by a Guest
Thanks Peg & Oldchief,
Interesting about the reservations. It would be nice if the on site host would have the phone going to him after hours, at least during the day. Trying to get info from this place is like pulling hen's teeth. They don't even have a website that is active or usable. We will be trying to check in today (Monday), if not will try the AFB.
Thanks for the quick replys,
Frank

More
16 years 6 months ago #2055 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: NWS Charleston
Frank,

Hopefully you got into NWS Campground okay. All you have to do is pull in and find an empty spot then go over to the ITT office and check in. After hours, weekends or holidays you just park and then check in on the next working day. The on site host goes around each day and checks the sites to record who is where.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

• a Guest
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 6 months ago #2056 by a Guest
NWS Charleston is FULL. The word has gottenout that this pace exists, and everyone is swarming to it.
Pulled in yesterday (Monday) afternoon and had to dry camp in overflow. No hookups. Charged $5.00 for the night. There are going to be 12 more sites opening in as soon as they can get utilities run to them. Right now they are used for storage. Camp Host "Carl" will bend over backwards to accomodate you. We left Tuesday and moved to the AFB. Don't have sewer, but do have water & elect.
NWS will be a great place when they get the bugs worked out. Hope it does not turn into a "good old boys" club. It almost seems that way.
Will do a review when we get settled.
Frank

Time to create page: 0.452 seconds