Onslow Beach Camp lejeune

More
16 years 8 months ago #1557 by jestridge
We have reservation Oct 1-7 at Onslow Beach . We will be renting a mobile home does anyone have any information about this area. Also spending 2 days at Fort Fisher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #1575 by cheldreth
We go to Onslow a couple of times a year. We have also done Fort Fisher but prefer Onslow.

The Marines own about five miles of prime Atlantic Ocean Coast Line. The whole facility is geared to recreation. At Fort Fisher you have to cross a highway to get to the ocean. At Onslow only the beach highway separates you from the beach. The beach is divided into officer, senior NCO and enlisted sections. Life guards on all sections of the beach. Pavilons at all beaches. Nice small exchange with lots of beach supplies. Beach shelters that can be rented by the day so you can have shade, a picnic table, locked storage and a shower.

I do not know anything about the trailers since we stay in a motor home.

Be prepared for the sound of freedom. Marines routinely do amphibious exercises at the southern end of the beach and come of the intercoastal waterway. A landing zone right adjacent to the beach serves as location for artillery to set up and fire. Pretty neat stuff for us old retired guys.

Fort Fisher is ok but Onslow rocks!!!!

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
16 years 8 months ago #1582 by oldchief46
We have reservations for a stop at Onslow Beach next month on our way between Charleston Naval Weapons Station and the Amphib Base at Little Creek in Norfolk. Looking forward to it. ;D

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 8 months ago #1586 by bill6750
You know if it is true that the beach is devided with officers, Senior NCO's and junior enlisted in seperate areas, that is the first time I have seen this. I was wondering if they put their swim trunks on different or if someone is affraid to let the other see what they have in them? Now being reasonable what is the point of this?

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

More
16 years 8 months ago #1596 by pbloyd
--It is a wonderful beach and you will enjoy yourself. You will be getting a campground that is the envy of the southern coast.
---The RV area is not separated.
---The beach housing area is separated and the main reason for that is so that the enlisted marines can have their parties and entertainment without worrying about some 04-05 telling them to cut it out.
--the beach does not have fences up. But there is an understanding that the different ranks (who tend to be aged grouped), want to enjoy themselves differently.
---Please visit before making negative statements.

More
16 years 8 months ago #1597 by cheldreth
I did not mean to start a class war because I said that the beaches were set up for different ranks. I did not mean anything by it other than that this is the way the beach area is set up. No one is there checking ID cards to determine who should be on which beach.

I have to concur with the previous post. The division allows young Marines to be themselves without worrying about one of us old officer geezers trying to cramp their style.

With what those kids are going through, they have earned a right to have a great time at the beach.

I admire all of the young Marines and soldiers that I have had the opportunity to observe since 9/11. They are truly another "Great Generation."

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

Time to create page: 0.507 seconds