Mayport Pelican Roost Length of Stay Change

More
7 years 2 months ago #15812 by DutchStar38
Are long term campers hogging all the premium space Station? Then write a letter to the base commander and also cc it to the Department of Defense. Unless people make it known it will not change. I have run across many bases that have LONG time campers into the years. A letter to the park manager means nothing since many times they are the ones overstepping their authority. Also convince others to write letters. Use the "ICE" website.
Military RV parks are "Recretional" parks not home sites. Why should I have to park in the blazing hot sun jbecause a bunch of homesteaders have all the shaded sites?
The following user(s) said Thank You: floridakamper, DILLIGAFF

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #15884 by floridakamper
I received a reply from the Commanding Officer at Mayport Naval Station, Captain David Yoder. Captain Yoder said that ALL Naval Installations have indeed been ordered to allow six month stays with the possibility of extensions. He said they will request a waiver to maintain some number of spots at Pelican Roost for 'short term" stays. He also said he's monitored Pelican Roost for a couple of weeks and sees at least some vacant spaces. (Could be explained by folks leaving early and others not arriving till late.)
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by floridakamper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: highshooter

More
7 years 4 days ago #16008 by floridakamper
The "Snow Birds" have mostly returned home so I thought I'd try to get a pull-through site at the Roost next month for a week.

None available for at least three months in the Mayport "Trailer Park." Things sure have changed at Mayport since we first started RVing. Never had a problem in past years getting a spot in the late spring/summer.

More
7 years 4 days ago #16010 by greyhound73772
With a six month stay and extensions, it won't be long before people never move. When the command "monitors" Pelican Roost he/she will see permanent porches, freezers, large propane tanks, and gardens. No space available for those of us who use military RV parks for recreation.

More
7 years 3 days ago #16017 by LamSan
Hubby called Pelican Roost on 4-21 to make a 2 week reservation for July 9th to the 23rd and nothing available. They found us a site for July 13 to the 27th but all front row sites filled (guess we can figure out the homesteaders are there already). We were also told the Commanding Officer is considering some modification to the new order so when we arrive in July will update what changes have been made or forthcoming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: floridakamper

More
7 years 2 days ago #16019 by Mountaineer Campers
We are new to the RV life and to Military Recreation Campsites. (My husband 100%) I am becoming discouraged trying to locate available sites as well. I am also shocked that what was meant for all military for recreation has become secondary homes or permanent homesteading.
Discouraged but hopeful we can actually enjoy this service.
Mrs. Mountaineer Camper

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds