Review Detail

4.0 56
Sept 1 - Sept 7, 2008
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

This is the first time I've stayed here at Round Pond, even though I spend at least a week a year in this area visiting relatives. I've read the previous reviews and was leery of staying for any length of time with only water and electric, and without Internet access. Since I was only going to be here for a week this trip, I decided to give it a try. The experience was well worth it. The campground is beautiful and very well maintained. Last weekend being the Labor Day holiday, I thought it would be crowded and noisy with folks just here for the day. Maybe the high fuel costs are keeping people away, but I don't think the CG was even half full. Several cookouts and party's were in full swing at some of the pavilions, but not overly noisy or out of hand. The price was higher than at most military CG's, but is a bargain for this area. I've stayed at private CG's in this area that were not nearly as nice for twice the price. The site I stayed in (C-1) was very large, level, and heavily wooded.....nice for camping, but terrible for cell phone service and Internet...LOL. I was able to get online using my Verizon AirCard, but only intermittently....mainly early morning and late evening. Cell phone service was bad. The signal kept fading and the call would drop. All things considered however, I would recommend Round Pond to anyone visiting the area. As other reviewers have said, it is very convenient to New York City and the tour of West Point is a MUST. Oh....BTW....I was a little concerned about the steepness of the hill at the entrance based on the previous reviews, but I had no problem at all with my 29' fifth-wheel, pulled by a Dodge Ram 3500. The one switchback is a little tricky if someone is coming down the hill at the same time, but it shouldn't be a problem for most rigs under 40'. I'm going to try and post some pictures I took of the hill in the photo section as soon as I get into an area with broadband coverage, to help you judge for yourself.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or
Cron Job Starts