Review Detail

4.0 56
3-5 Aug 2007
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Nice area; wanted to provide some comments from a big rig prespective. I have a 38ft gas driven motorhome, double slides, height 12'8". I tow a Honda Pilot on a tow dolly. After reading some of the reviews about the steep grade and sharp turns into the campground I had some concerns. The directions listed in Military Living's RV Camping and Outdoor Recreation book were accurate. We arrived via I-87 North to US-6 East to NY293. We disconnected the toad shortly after getting on NY293 it has a wide shoulder and not much traffic. Once turning off NY293 into Round Pond you are immediately on the steep grade climbing to the campground. It has recently been paved including the entire loop around the campground. I felt it was a good decision to disconnect the toad and when we go back I will do the same. There are two sharp S turns on the way up and naturally that is the only place there was opposing car traffic a little tight. I suggest driving past the office and parking in the lot in front of maintenance so you don't block traffic while checking in. We originally had site C-4 and they wanted us to go past the bath house turn left and get into the site that way. There is absolutely no way we would have made it around the turn located on the map at L-1 it was way too tight and the map doesn't do it justice. It is about a 60 degree turn with a boulder on the inside of the turn and trees on the outside. The staff was great after sharing my concerns with them they switched us to C-13 -- no problems getting in and out of there. I would have no problems with C-9,C-10, C-13,C-12. Entering C-25 looked good but the caretaker had it and C-26 also looked good for a large motorhome but appeared occupied for the season. On the backside of the loop C-15, and C-17 look big rig friendly. My definition of big rig is 38ft I would not recommend anyone over 40ft trying this. The only place I had some small tree branches run across the top of the rig was at the Wood-E-Lo-Hi Pavillion no damage not an issue for this trip. Leaving we kept the toad disconncted and hitched up on the shoulder of NY293 where there was plenty of room. We plan on returning in the fall. My wife enjoyed the outlet malls and I would recommend the self guided walking tour of the West Point cemetery.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or