NAS Whidbey Island military campgrounds

More
16 years 10 months ago #1193 by Mustang03
We're staying in the area at a Washington State Park, so visited NAS Whidbey and checked out the two campgrounds, Ocean View and Rocky Point. Both were clean, recently mowed, and looked like nice places to stay. Good info on the boards, which were located at the entrances and easy to find.

We're moving on tomorrow to Port Townsend, but if need to stay in the area and the state parks were full, would not hesitate to utilize these campgrounds.

B.N. Lavender
Capt. (LDO) USMC (Ret.)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 6 months ago #1992 by philbatton
My wife and I stayed at the Cliffside Campground, NAS, Whidbey Island, WA, in the summer of 2003. Cliffside had electric, water and a dump station. No full hookups.

We were stationed there in 1957/59. This was our first visit since 1959.

We found it to be the most unfriendly base we had ever encountered.

I shoot trap and skeet on the road. For the first and only time, the gate guards asked if I had guns on board and required me to check them in at security. The based owned a skeet range that was located off base. To shoot there, I had to check out the shotgun, then check it back in after shooting. I understand the base has since closed the skeet range.

At the campground the manager allowed a group of tent campers. They were loud, drunken and generally obnoxious. The group included a mother and son (looked to be about five years old). We watched him play, unsupervised, including playing with matches. There were no fires, however, we were concerned. I talked to the manager. He explained they were a family trying to get back together and could not afford to stay off base. There were several men around, we could not tell who was the father.

A lot of electronic stuff going on at the base. My automobile remote locks would not work. When we were in downtown Oak Harbor, they worked fine. The cell phone battery would last about 12 hours.

The Officer's Club had dinner on weekends only and very few customers when we were there. A very nice building poorly used. It was depressing.

I felt the security presence on the base was oppressive. Very unfriendly to visitors. I have not encountered such unfriendliness at other bases.

If we travel to Whidbey Island again, we'll not stay on base nor visit.

Hopefully, for others, things have changed since our visit in 2003.

Phil Batton

More
16 years 6 months ago #1993 by oldchief46

The Officer's Club had dinner on weekends only and very few customers when we were there. A very nice building poorly used. It was depressing.

Phil Batton

Phil,

You'll find this is the norm on most bases these days. I'm amazed at how few clubs are left on the bases. When we hit a Naval Base the first thing I ask about is the Chief's Club. If they still have one it will usually only be opened minimal hours and never on weekends. It is a shame but with the anti-alcohol mind frame of today's military it is not surprising. And, the new feeling about drinking is probably for the better. In the old days every function on the base was done around the bar: Hail and farewell parties, promotions wet-downs, Chief's initiations, everything. That is not the case today so the clubs could not break even.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 2 months ago #2677 by Sandman
I'm a USMC Brat.. USN Ret.. (My Mom is also a USMC Brat, so I have SOME stories)

When I was a kid SNCOs & Os were required to belong to the club also the service pay vs beach prices were such that the club was much more affordable than the beach (for the same quality, sure there were gin mills along Hampton Blvd, long gone but they were more $$$ and real buckets of blood (NOB Norfolk))..

I remember that "going out to dinner" was usually the club.. and every event involved drinking..

But those daze are gone along with a "Liberty Uniform" (a tie or neckerchief) required to go in or out of the gate..

Oh yea.. we were by NAS Whidbey several years ago, as the VPs were moving from Moffitt.. very unfriendly.. bringing a rental car onboard was a big, big deal...

More
15 years 3 months ago #5321 by Billr
Two years ago we stayed at Whidbey Islands Cliffside RV Park. We lucked out and actually got in. The sites were mostly uneven and as commented, security levels somewhat of an issue. Base access was a very tight fit through only one gate. The park itself was nicely maintained with many nice touches. The beach was close and far from crowded.
Last year (2K7) they were full so we stayed over at Rocky Point. It was cheap, mostly deserted and also not all that level. Spent 2 nights there.
Regards
Bill

More
12 years 6 days ago - 12 years 6 days ago #9911 by clcampers
NAS Whidbey,s Cliffside Campground will reopen May 1st,2012, after closing
down Sept, 2010, for a complete makeover. Full hook-ups, W/S/E , along with
WiFi, new restrooms with showers, and laundry facilities.
Check with their Gateway Inn for information and reservations.Tent spaces
along with a few Yerts will be offered.Approximatly 60 RV pads will be
available when 2nd phase of construction is complete.
Last word has it that Rocky Point will CLOSE to RV camping, and be used
for picnics and day use.
I will give an update after our stay during the 1st week of May.

Ron M.
Last edit: 12 years 6 days ago by clcampers.

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds