FT Belvoir Update

More
11 years 5 months ago #10652 by rockycampa
Replied by rockycampa on topic Re:FT Belvoir Update
Good News concerning Fort Belvoir.
I just spoke with the Director of Outdoor Recreation at Belvoir.
They will be having a "soft"opening of the Campground in March 2013 and
a Grand opening in June. It will supposedly be a "Very Nice" facility with 52 pads all full hookups all capable of handling rigs up to 40'.
No permanent personnel and a two week maximum stay.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #10748 by Hudson1790
Replied by Hudson1790 on topic Re:FT Belvoir Update
On Dec 4th I stopped by Outdoor Recreation and spoke to the manager. They have pushed the soft opening back to 01 June. The site is in front of the Outdoor Rec office, the only work I noticed was a couple of Oak trees cut. The rules are 2 weeks in and 1 week out. They said they would have cable, internet, 50/30 amp, water and sewer. The manager proposed to the Command to charge $55.00 a night with no discounts. They based the rate on off base prices. She also said the location on the Potomac river was a consideration when determining the price. I didn't get a real warm and fuzzy from the manager or facility. I told her I thought the rate was high considering it was a MWR campground. I asked her isn't the purpose to support active and retiree soldiers. She said " the MWR doesnt work that way anymore", I was speechless. I told her the rates weren't in line with other Military campgrounds in the area (Fort Meade). I said the rate should be lower since they don't pay taxes and other overhead fees, she just looked at me. It is a nice location and a lot of changes to the base including a new state of the art medical facility, great service. I don't think anyone there knows anything about a campground or running one. Like some other Military campgrounds this facility is probably to offset the their other losses in the MWR program.
The following user(s) said Thank You: larryf

More
11 years 4 months ago #10754 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re:FT Belvoir Update
Watching budget stuff lately, and methods of raising money, and cutting services, I really, really hope that mentality doesn't filter down into the campgrounds ... $55 a night is outrageous for a MCG

I wonder what in the world the price of private campground has to do with military campgrounds??

Sounds like 'milk the cow to feed the neighbors' instead of to feed the family.

But, when that happens, we all lose again. There's more noise in the wind too, about cutting out the commissary ... bummer !!

More
11 years 4 months ago #10760 by rvgrammy1953
Replied by rvgrammy1953 on topic Re: FT Belvoir Update
$55/night also will close it down...who's going to pay that??? Hey, Larry, do we have an ICE link for Ft. Belvoir, yet????

More
11 years 4 months ago #10763 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: FT Belvoir Update
Well, who will pay that is the guys on BHA that have money to burn, or DOD that gets paid subsidy ... because us retired can't afford $1700 a month for a plug and a tap, and a dump. Makes NO sense.

But if command lets BHA or DOD, then these guys will stay, and it will make a ton of money, and they'll say, "See we're right" and it will filter down to others and we'll lose the fair prices now all over - bummer!!

More
11 years 2 months ago #10965 by bteetz
Replied by bteetz on topic Re: FT Belvoir Update
I drove by the campground a couple days ago and it looks like there will be plenty of room between the sites which have concrete pads with asphalt driveways.

I talked with one of the MWR staff and he stated there were work orders in to get trees trimmed on the roads leading to the campground. They need it because the roads are narrow and trees overhang. In my opinion, the roads need to be repaved as well. Lots of sub-standard patching resulting in potholes, bumps, etc.

Location is nice but it is at the bottom of a fairly steep hill.

I don't know about the $55 price mentioned above, but if they are comparing the price to civilian campgrounds, the closest one to Fort Belvoir (Pohick Bay Regional Park) charges $43.50 per night for full hook-ups (30/50 AMP). Be cheaper to stay off-base.

Time to create page: 0.547 seconds