New Englad Tour Ideas?

More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #12808 by belgique
Toying with doing a June in New England using Mil CG's where possible. Start o/a 1 June. Duration???? 30 days? Minimal use of interstates---back roads where feasible. 2 adults, 35'MH, Jeep TOAD, 2 dogs. Objective is see something new and some history.

From a city perspective would leave from Richmond and thinking about West Point as a base to see NYC; Boston; somewhere in Maine; Somewhere in New Hampshire; Niagara Falls; back to Richmond (or maybe Asheville NC).

I'll be scouring the CG reviews here but would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance! Steve

PS: how crowded are CG's (mil and civ) during June? I.e, do I need reservations or my usual wing it mode? I'm not a slave to hookups.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by belgique. Reason: a PS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #12820 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic New Englad Tour Ideas?
Old Sturbridge Village (Mid-State Mass), Plimoth Plantation (So of Boston), Heritage Plantation (Cape Cod) ... And the Minute Man Trail in Lexington, MA

MCG at Hanscomb AFB (NW of Boston) is great -- an older CG, but well run and well kept. Westport ANG base Mid-Mass is also a good one - small, but convenient to Mass Pike.

Fourth Cliff is distant, out-of-the-way, and not well managed. Be careful here if you go -- It's nice view, right on the Bay, but nothing else close. And expensive. Bath house is disgusting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: belgique

More
9 years 11 months ago #12822 by Ed Kelly
Replied by Ed Kelly on topic New Englad Tour Ideas?
Bath house at the Fourth Cliff was new last year.

Ed & Joan

More
9 years 11 months ago #12823 by Kokomo36
Replied by Kokomo36 on topic New Englad Tour Ideas?
Hanscom is a good place for Boston; and Lexington / Concord. Great Pond in ME is nice but a little over a hour from Arcadia NP - a must see/do. West Point is good, but to get there, and I recommend you go west from Baltimore rather than I95. I95 is very expensive costing us, with a MH and toad, over $100 in tolls to get to CT. Ft. Meade is a good spot to see DC unless you are staying in VA. Cheatham is good for Williamsburg VA.

More
9 years 11 months ago #12850 by Sandman
Replied by Sandman on topic New Englad Tour Ideas?
New England Tips..
Yes.. avoid I-95.. We are based in Fairfax and take US-15 to I-81 to I-84 and NY17/US-6 into Round Pond.. West Point has a great museum.. lunch (all hands) at the Officers Club.. then US-9 up to I-84 to cross the Hudson.. Hudson tolls are such that you want to cross on I-84..

Westover.. nice place.. Indian Motorcycle and Dr Seuss Museums downtown and Smith & Wesson out near Air Station..

4th Cliff is our gateway to the Cape.. Love it..

Hanscom is a Hotel stop..

Seaview Campground in Eastport ME (top, right corner of US) is fun..

Fuel tip.. I-84, New York side of Delaware River.. Port Jervis NY. Exit 1.. at bottom of ramp New Jersey is 100 feet to left.. five big diesel stations.. cheap fuel

More
9 years 11 months ago #12851 by belgique
Replied by belgique on topic New Englad Tour Ideas?
Thanks all. Taking notes and doing a plan. Very helpful input.

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds