Husband deploying--Questions about RV????

More
15 years 4 months ago #4971 by kbolar
Hello, all! This is my first post to this website. I have been in the background reading different posts, and now find myself needing some help! My husband is active duty at Fort Benning (we LOVE Uchee Creek and Destin, if you get a chance to go...), and we have been RVing for about 3 years. We love it. However, my husband is deploying (4th time) in April on a MITT team (total of 15 months). My boys and I are going to relocate to Fort Leavenworth which will be my husband's follow-on assignment. I am DREADING the cold, but will only be an hour from family.

What are some thoughts on the RV since I am not comfortable RVing by myself? On another RV forum I visit, the majority said to sell. Is this possible in this recession? Our RV is 2 years old and maybe 9000 miles. Where/what site is recommended to sell it? We have even contemplated if someone would want to "rent" it for the time he is gone and just make the payments, then when he gets home we will take it back (assuming it's still in decent condition). It's a Class C and we want a Class A when he gets home. Anyway, I guess I a looking for advice. Our first goal would be to sell, but just don't know how likely that is now.

Thank you for all your service and I look forward to any advice I receive!
Kathy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #4972 by gbherman
Kathy.
Are the kids old enough to help with the camper. If so why not keep it. It can still be used during the summer time and I think they would enjoy it. My wife took my two kids camping when I was stationed in Korea for a year and they enjoyed it even if I was not there.

More
15 years 4 months ago #4973 by Mustang03
Here's something to consider. I think you could take a financial beating if you sell now. I also wouldn't rent it. There is no telling what shape it will be in when you get it back. I know, I know, most people will take care of it "like it their very own", but... we camp hosted at a national park once and you wouldn't believe the abuse rental rigs can take.

If the rig is paid for or if it isn't and you can afford to carry the payment anyway, consider putting it in long-term storage at the base. Many bases have such storage and it is usually very reasonable when it comes to rent. That way, you'd still have the rig when your husband gets back and the financial climate may be more conducive to selling or trading in for that Class A without losing your shirt. If you go this route, make absolutely sure that someone who knows what he is doing does the winterizing before it goes into storage!

B.N. Lavender
Capt. (LDO) USMC (Ret.)
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

More
15 years 4 months ago #4974 by MotorSarge
Don't sell or rent it, you'll lose what you paid. Take it with you and maintain it. ;D

"MotorSarge"

More
15 years 4 months ago #4977 by bill6750
I vote with Mustang. Winterize it and put in the MWR storage at Ft. Leavenworth. It is very reasonable to store it with MWR. When he returns trade it for the Class A. Don't rent it. When and if you store it make sure you put something in the storage compartments to keep the mice and rodents out. Moth balls will help. Good luck on whatever you do. Thank your soldier for serving, and protecting us.

Bill & Jean
Bill Retired US Army,
Viet Nam Vet, 24th Evac. Hosp.
Jean Retired from DOA
2014 Tiffin Phaeton, 40'
2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 in Toe

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds