MCG Winter Weather - Virginia

More
15 years 7 months ago #4330 by monkey44
Can anyone share with me the general winter weather along the coastal MCGs in Virginia -- would like to spend some of the winter there this year and am not specifically rigged for cold weather in my unit -- am not worried about warming the inside for living but primarily the water and waste lines because mine are not wrapped and are exposed somewhat, especially waste tanks and dump valves.

So I'm wondering if I should take the time to wrap everything before I head out this winter, or should not worry about it too much. I don't mind a few days without outside water lines but don't want to spend long periods without it ... my inside water tank is heated, and the inside water lines are in heated areas too

And if I do wrap the lines, is it cold enough to wrap heat tape in the insulation too -- or not necessary for that area. Thanks M44

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4334 by skyking8
I was born and raised in the central VA area - at least until the miltiary decided to ship me all over the world. I no longer reside there, but I do have relatives who still live in the state. Until someone who now lives on the coast answers your post, I can give some general info.

You will find temps dropping slightly below freezing Dec - Feb. Jan will be the coldest and probably drop to the teens several times. Even on the coast there will be some snow falls altho not as many as inland.

If I remember correctly, you live in New England so you know the drill on prepping the plumbing for freezing temps. I've learned how to keep everything in the rig from freezing except the shower lines. It's my Achilles Heel, but there is alway the CG bathhouse.

One of the reasons I chose not to live in VA after retirement was that it's too cold in the winter. But then cold to me is below 45. I was stationed in SC several times. It has a much better winter climate with limited freezing. There are at least half dozen MCGs there.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4335 by monkey44
Will consider N Carolina instead -- You're right, Cape Cod is 'home port' -- but I have some family issues in NE that might need my attention during the winter so want to go south but stay as far north as possible without freezing as I'll have to "commute" a few times -- few days don't bother me, but extended time-frame is too uncomfortable without water.

My rig is not set up for cold-weather - although I do it occasionally for short periods, don't want to do cold-weather for extended periods ... so am trying to make the best of it without spending a ton of $$$ or buying a new camper -- much as I'd like a brand new 'winter weather" TC, too small a wallet here.

Any advice will be appreciated from those that know the Atlantic coastal areas ... M44

More
15 years 7 months ago #4336 by bblhed
To me it sounds like a case of proper management of equipment will be all you need to do here.

You can pull your hoses in at night when they could freze, and remember to dump out at night before it can get cold enough to freeze your waste tanks. AM water use will put enough warm water into the waste tanks to thaw anything that didn't come out the night before. Last time I stayed in VA they had heaters on the water pipes coming out of the ground and as you know warm ground water that is flowing won't freze all that fast so you should be able to hook up to the water and use it as long as you are using the water, if you plan to turn off the taps you should disconnect the hose and put it some place warm.

If you are really that woried I say insulate and heat, by the end of the season you won't care that you spent the time and money doing it. On the flip side if you don't insulate and heat and something frezes you will probably remember that for the rest of your life, and it won't be a pleasent memory either.

More
15 years 7 months ago #4337 by cheldreth
Monkey:

We were at Onslow Beach at Camp Lejeune during most of last winter. We had planned to go to Key West for Christmas but 10 degrees warmer at Key West was just not worth the trip. We had some cold nights and a few cold days but the weather is really different here in the winter. We had days in the 70s and 80s off and on throughout the winter. I never had to use heat tape. A couple of nights I disconnected the water just in case.

Our campground stayed about half full the entire off season. In fact, starting with Nov 1, people can stay as long as they like if space is available. During our busy season, it is 14 days in and then 14 days out. Right now, we have about 8-10 spaces available during the week.

C'mon down!

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS

More
15 years 7 months ago #4338 by FastEagle
Hi M44, During my Navy years we lived (off & on) in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk, VA area for about 10 years. Once we lived near the beach in a mobile home park and had to wrap everything exposed to the freezing winter weather. The cold night time winds are very damaging if you're not properly protected. Snow and freezing roads are not normally a problem there. It can happen but the percentages are pretty low. While full time RVing we have never ventured that far north for the winter. We did spend a winter in the interior of SC and really liked it there. You can go to the very last post in the Commercial campground topics and read my comments about that.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Time to create page: 0.549 seconds