Boondocking on Military Bases

More
16 years 1 month ago #2885 by oldchief46

I didn't know Vance AFB was still open. ::)

Larry,

Vance is very much open and very active here in Oklahoma. They still do pilot training up there. As a matter of fact, all the bases in Oklahoma are very active and are taking on more work from bases being closed in other states: Tinker AFB, Vance AFB, Altus AFB, Ft Sill, and the Army Ammonition Depot in McAlester.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 month ago #2912 by JayUSA1
My wife and I are stationed at Pt. MuGu, CA. We traverse the park here and the one in Port Hueneme. Occasionally, there are no spots in the FamCamps, so we have had to "boondock" While we don't deploy slides, or run the generator, etc., we were told by FamCamp manager we would be towed if we parked in a HUGE, vacant, unused lot right next to the RV park. We did anyway, and have not been bothered. I know they don't want people living there, but for a few nights, I don't see the harm. I have approached them about overflow in that lot, but the refuse to consider it. I think as long as it isn't abused, they are patient wih it. It is nice to feel safe and secure on a base rather than in a Wal-Mart with who knows? I think it reasonable to expect that after being exposed to life threatening situations for 20 years plus.

More
16 years 1 month ago #2997 by thedrifter
Sorry about that I should have added where the dump station is. It is west of the picnic grounds, near the play area, also the water is right thier also. And will be near where they should park you. This was the trailer park when I got here in 84. They should have made this a camping spot after they moved all the trailer's out. You can not drive into the picnic area as they have it block off, but go down one more turn off from the entrance and you can get into it from the that area. (this is on Gott road heading toward the clinic going south, just pass base housing and before the clinic. Vance is still here at Enid Ok, and plans are to grow some more. Army National Guard moving on base. Im also retired AIR FORCE. Hope to see all of you in some of my travels in the future....

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds