Homestead AFB

More
16 years 5 months ago #2167 by llshaw
Homestead AFB was created by llshaw
I know Homestead ARB was hit hard by a hurricane some years ago. Someone told my husband there was a famcamp there. Does anyone know if that is true?

Also, we have been thinking about giving Ft Stewart a try but have been told it is a very tight fit for big rigs.

If anyone has not stayed at Robins AFB famcamp you are missing a great place. I just retired from Robins as a civil service employee and my husband is still working there. It has had a total re-do and is convenient to the Museum of Aviation (free), BX, commissary, hospital, club, etc.

If anyone needs info on campgrounds in GA, please let me know and I will pass on our experiences, both good and bad.

Happy Holidays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #2170 by bblhed
Replied by bblhed on topic Re: Homestead AFB
Homestead was wiped off the face of the earth by Hurricane Andrew in 1992. I was stationed in Orlando at the time, and had to give up my bunk room to a family from Homestead that were losing their home duty station for the second time because they had just come to Homestead from a base that had been destroyed by a volcano. Life was not good for that particular unit in the Air Force that year.

More
16 years 5 months ago #2172 by johnandmari
Replied by johnandmari on topic Re: Homestead AFB
Homestead AFB does not have a FamCamp. >:( We have family down there, just to the north of Homestead and visit ever so often. The base is now a reserve base, with a small area just outside the main gate that has a large building (left over from the original base) with a small BX and commissary. My BIL told me recently that both have significantly reduced in size since our last visit, and he expects both to be closed soon. There are several campgrounds in the area, but . . .! The Florida City Campground is a mess! Boardwalk and Goldcoaster are basically mobil home parks that allow RVs. Miami Everglades is EXPENSIVE!! :o Larry and Penny Thompson Campground is nice, if you can get in.

John

More
16 years 5 months ago #2174 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Homestead AFB
Interesting -- last time I was at Homestead I stored my RV for a few days and went into Miami -- The Rec guys there said they had just received 'orders' and budget for a new FamCamp to be built there ... that was a couple years ago -- 2005, I think. And you're right, it's a small base with small BX -- but they just rebuilt and expanded the on-base motel / housing units and added two or three large buildings, probably a hundred new rooms ... that in 2005 as well. So, I don't know what's really up there, and won't be there this year either -- but it might be worth checking out if anyone is in the area...

More
16 years 5 months ago #2177 by johnandmari
Replied by johnandmari on topic Re: Homestead AFB
I may have confused folks with my post - Homestead ARB is not closing - I was referring to the poosible closing of the small BX/Commisary outside the front gate. I called both my BIL and the ARB lodging office. Both confirmed they do not have a FamCamp.

More
16 years 5 months ago #2200 by OurVee
Replied by OurVee on topic Re: Homestead AFB
Ft Stewart is fine for big rigs. Our 37 footer fit easily.

Time to create page: 0.370 seconds