Savannah Campground

• a Guest
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #1819 by a Guest
Savannah Campground was created by a Guest
I started reading a thread about a great Savannah CG, but DW said lets go shopping and so I just left it up. When I came back to read the thread it was gone. I can't find it anywhere. We are going to be in Savannah in mid Nov and I know that the CG at Ft Steward has been booked solid that last two times I was there.
Can someone point me to the thread or shed some other info on this CG. I doubt if it was a military CG, I have searched this entire list here twice and just can't find it.
Thanks
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #1820 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: Savannah Campground
Frank,

I just left Savannah this morning. Basically, there are two private campgrounds in the area. We stayed at Savannah Oaks RV Resort on Hwy 204 just 2.5 miles west of I-95. The campground has full hooks with cable TV. It has pretty level concret pads to park on. It has WiFi at the RV Park Office. I was able to park outside the office with my laptop and get WiFi in the car. We paid $36.50 per night.

The other park is owned by the Chatham County and is fairly new. It is not as nice a park but cost more. It is located on Tybee Island very close to the Tybee Island Lighthouse. It appeared that it had full hook ups with cable but the sites were all grass and appear to be laid out helter skelter. Really, the only thing it has going for it is location, especially if you are visiting the east side of Savannah or are into the islands.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

More
16 years 7 months ago #1821 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Re: Savannah Campground
Kings Bay Georgia has a great MCG, somewhat south of Savannah, so it's a drive to get there, but probably worth it. The CG is $17 a night, full hooks, everything -- well kept and about three years old. Even the overflow has everything but sewer ... and last year they talked about expanding and adding another 30 or so sites ... may have already done that, but Kings Bay is one of the best military CG's I've ever seen. I stay every time I pass through that area ...

More
16 years 7 months ago #1825 by FastEagle
Replied by FastEagle on topic Re: Savannah Campground
When in the Savannah area we always stop for a few days to visit with our grand daughter. She is a resident student at Armstrong State University. We stick pretty close to I95 so have only used two of the 14 or more RV parks in the Savannah area. We have driven through a few more but none of them were any better than the two we have stayed at. None are as good as they look on paper. The KOA at Richmond Hill is our first choice as it is very convenient to all the Savannah freeways. The sites at the KOA will hold big rigs but will require some tight turns to get into one of them. Their fishing lake is well stocked and I?ve always got at least one three pounder or better out of it. They have CATV but no WiFi. Our other choice has been the Savannah Oaks RV Resort. It?s an easy in and out with good interior clearances. They have a good WiFi but no CATV and getting your dish to work will depend on your choice of site location. It?s away from the noisy highways but is still very convenient to them. The price at both these parks is about the same (pricy). My rule of thumb is to avoid the KOA if it has been raining or going to rain while I?m in the area. I?ll post a picture of the KOA in the member photo section. I cannot find one for Savannah Oaks. If I find one I?ll post it for you later. Good luck.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

More
16 years 7 months ago #1856 by rvgrammy1953
Try the Ft. STEWART campground again.....new phone numbers listed in the "state by state listings" here. New management and camp hosts are making every effort to improve the campground and services there......Maybe you'll be able to get in this time.......But please note, Georgia hunting season runs from about the 1st week of Oct. thru the end of Dec. and alot of military active & retired book for this. So would advise to call for avalibility of your time slot you want to stay....

More
16 years 7 months ago #1862 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Re: Savannah Campground

Our other choice has been the Savannah Oaks RV Resort. It?s an easy in and out with good interior clearances. They have a good WiFi but no CATV and getting your dish to work will depend on your choice of site location. It?s away from the noisy highways but is still very convenient to them.
FastEagle

I just spent a week at Savannah Oaks. They now have CATV. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is a very nice park. The owner lives on site and the manager is very good. The WiFi is a strong signal only at the RV park office. It will not reach out to the campsites. I had to sit in my car outside the office to get close enough to pick up the WiFi. They do have a place in the office lobby to use for WiFi.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds