Andrews AFB and guns & gates

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #13195 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Andrews AFB and guns & gates
Doesn't any/all of these measures usually come after the phrase "YES, I have weapons on board."?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #13198 by monkey44
Kings Bay, GA always asks -- and you check them at the armory.

More
9 years 6 months ago #13200 by cdrcos
Replied by cdrcos on topic Andrews AFB and guns & gates

Tweedro wrote: ... I've never been asked either but if I was carrying, I most likely wouldn't answer yes...

Good plan - lie to base Security. :( That should insure our continued use of military campgrounds.

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida
The following user(s) said Thank You: Navyzone

More
9 years 6 months ago #13201 by belgique
Never been asked until this year at Sigsbee (once) and Mayport (once). I don't carry in the RV because we use Mil CGs a lot. Storage in Arms Room would be ok except I seem to recall that some places require you to be there at 0700 for inventory and/or some places only let you store for a day or two.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #13203 by a Guest
Replied by a Guest on topic Andrews AFB and guns & gates

cdrcos wrote:
Good plan - lie to base Security. :( That should insure our continued use of military campgrounds.

LOL, I'm sorry if you're having a bad day, maybe it's been a long time since you were active duty.
I couldn't type out in a week what I've seen/been told/had to do while I was in. Lie to base Security....trust me when I tell you, more people do than don't.
Our "continued use of military campgrounds" will be undermind by dozens of things before "lying to base security".

In the armory, when I readied gear for deployment, I was taught that it's not "lying", it's having situational discresion.

More
9 years 6 months ago #13205 by dubob
Replied by dubob on topic Andrews AFB and guns & gates
I can only speak about what the rules are for Hill AFB but assume they would universally apply to other Air Force installations if not all DoD bases. If you live in base housing, ALL firearms must be registered with Security but can be kept at your residence. If you live in a barracks, then they must be registered and kept in the armory. They may NEVER be kept in your barracks room.

If you live off base, then you do not have to register any firearm with the base. We have a Gun Club on base and you can bring one or more shotguns on base if going to the Club. Technically, you can NOT bring the shotgun with you when going to work (leaving it in your vehicle, of course), work your shift, and then go to the Club after work to shoot. You would need to leave your shotgun(s) at home until you were actually going directly to the Club.

Handguns are NEVER allowed on base under any circumstances unless you are an LEO and involved in official LEO activities. A concealed carry permit doesn’t work on Hill AFB or any other DoD facility that I’m aware of. Since Hill AFB does not have an on-base rifle range, there would be no reason to bring one on the base and I’m guessing the Security Guards would not allow it – but I don’t know that to be a fact.

We travel to Skeet shoots in several states and occasionally stay at FamCamps with our shotguns in the RV. We have never been asked if we had firearms on board. If we ever are, we will answer in the affirmative and follow the rules for that installation.

There are some basic rules covered in OIs for all installations in DoD. And you can add to that the authority each base commander has in applying those OIs and adding local requirements as he/she deems appropriate. It might be prudent to contact the Provost Marshal at the installation in question to get the real story about this subject rather than rely on opinions stated on websites. Better safe than sorry.

I would think that since POTUS is in and out of Andrews AFB on a regular basis, they might just have tighter firearms restrictions than do other bases. But that’s just an opinion. :)

Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds